News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old car clubs???

Started by gasman826, 2012-11-13 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

to lowrider,    are u still in the detroit area?,    telegraph,  eureka, northline, taylor, dearborn,  where?

geraldchainsaw

i've got some extra time,   i should say lots of time,  retired,   so i'll tell u about some car shows around my area.  i just found out this year theres a car show in Bellville, mi,  on monday nites,  they shut down the main street,  and theres a least 150 cars there,   they have a drawing ewvery hour for diff items,  oil changes or buffers etc,  nice car show\,   then theres one on Grosse isle on tuesday,  no drawing,  then on wed theres one in my town given by the city,  drawings every 1/2 or hour,  diff prizes,  i've gotten oil changes,  $25, had my car picked for the heritage days plaque at their car show,  that one is the best,   also on wed theres one at the VFW,  same with the prizes, + at the end of the season they gave a tool box away,  then on thursday they have one out on Huron river drive near bellville,  same deal with prizes,  but at the end of their season they have a pig roast,  thats coming up in a week,  theres lots of shows around here,  and u can'gt go to all of them,  forgot,  on fridays, theres a car show at sears in lincoln park, mi,  could be 200 or more cars,  and i'm not even counting the big shows  like St Ignas, at the straits of machinaw, between lower and upper michigan,  u have to go across the machinaw bridge,     i guess thats about it,   jerry

JimNolan

Jerry, your car is georgous.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

thanks Jim,     the cars not perfect,  but i'm trying to get it there,  never ending work,   but i don't mind,  keeps my mind off of other things,    but just a up date on what i've done to it this year.   1st,  i've worked the door channels, whiskers and painted the door jams,   and just recently i've painted the whole eng compartment, inner wheel wells, firewall,  and eng,  now this is not a frame off restortation,  if i ever change or work the eng i'll do it 100%,    Jim,  u notice i got another air cleaner?,   thats what happens when u get older,  always changing my mind,  but now its going for 100% stock, ,  forgot i had to have the center piece on the front seat replaced,  and the silver and off white panels on the doors,  to replace the silver i had to use silver leaf,  & then i covered it with plastic,  sisnce i don't have a sewing machine i did it by hand,  turned out nice,  one thing left,   the dash,  maybe next year,  today i go get a air filter for the cleaner and its put away for the winter, forgot,  had to rework the front bumper location, front bumpers have always seemed to be out of paralel, the back tip was always high,  so i made it more paralel,  summer sure went by fast.    jerry

RICH MUISE

Jim and Gerry...both of your cars are gorgeous. Something about that green that really makes it appealing. Jim..by the way, did you ever decide what to do with the '65 or 6 Fairlane?

Getting back to the topic of this thread..old car clubs, or more specifically missing the old ways of socializing with folks like we did in the old days....I spent quite a bit of time following a blogsite of a hamber who's name long time hambers will probably readily recognize.."Poverty Flats". This is my kind of guy..love his wirlwind long drive weekends. He documents his trips around the midwest to shows, races, museums, and the best part..stopping in to visit friends along the way and their shops and collections. I've only gone thru some of his threads, but but I got to thinking this guy is living what you guys were talking about. Check it out..tons of cool pics and feel-good stories. www.gopovertyflats.blogspot.com
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
  I still have the 66 Fairlane. It's on the Trailer sitting in the Hanger with a battery sustainer on it. I don't know what to do with it. It's such a nice car but not the kind of car I can use. You hate going to a car show 10 miles away because you don't want to put miles on it. I guess I'll just keep it. I called the guy that had it sitting in his showroom for two years that said he wanted it back, he tried to offer me $2000 less than I gave for it. When you're talking that much money $2000 shouldn't make you flinch. I just told him if he changed his mind to give me a call and see if I still had it. It don't eat much, just sits there underneath cloth cover. I'll drive it every now and then and one of the Grand Daughters can figure out what to do with it when I'm gone. Ha

gasman826

Since the Fairlane is such a nice example of an original car and you are not that far away, what about loaning it to one of the museums in Auburn.  There are several cars there that are privately owned.  The museum watches over them, cleans them, and keeps them warm.  Free storage and a service to the community.  If you want to go to an event with it, give them notice and they have it ready for you.  I'm sure there are other museums doing the same thing and maybe even closer. 

I worked in the one of if not the oldest FLM dealership outside the Detroit Metro Area.  The wife was Henry's niece.  Anyway, a new facility was built in the late '70s and the grandson still owns the original building.  He is slowly restoring the building like a late '50s dealership.  I have tried to convince him to set up a foundation.  He would oversee the foundation as long as he could or wanted to and his vision would have a chance to live on.  He has many friends with collectable cars and his own collection is large.  Getting the property protected from becoming a parking lot and allowing people to share much history would be a great gift.

JimNolan

Gasman,
   If I keep going I can start my own museum. I'll check into that and see what contractual obligations and lliability implications there are to loaning it out to a museum. Thanks, I never considered that. Jim