News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

over flow

Started by Slimjim652, 2012-09-30 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimjim652

I'm not 100% sure how to correct the problem with my Fairlane 500 with a 312.  When the vehicle is driven for awhile and gets warm right around 180 degrees on the aftermarket temp gauge.  When I park it coolant pushes from the over flow tube and runs out underneath.  I just put the radiator in when I converted to the automatic.  Where it was pressure checked and a minor leak was repaired.  Also I tried a new aftermarket cap.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, do you know if the 57's came factory with an expansion tank.  I have seen it on later model but not sure if I should have one.

Thanks,

Jim

Ford Blue blood

Your cooling system will "seek: it's own level.  If you fill it to the top when cold and run the engine and get everybody warm and up to temperature the coolant will expand and actually go above the t-stat temp and the additional volumn will come out the top.  It should puke once, maybe twice after shut down after a fill.  Use a 7lb cap on that 57 radiator, the top tank like to split the seam with higher pressure caps.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

suede57ford

I used a low pressure cap and converted my "See Clear" Windshield Washer into an cool looking Radiator Overflow reservior.

It looks vintage with the Washer Bag and the inspectors at the track are pleased I have a overflow can.

The radiator will find it own full level, as they really dont need filled to the top. 

The use of a low pressure cap is very important to prevent any radiator damage as mentioned earlier.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429