News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

converting from a generator to an altenator

Started by Hi Skool Hairy, 2012-10-21 00:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Skool Hairy

Hi-- I was wondering how much trouble is involved in converting from a generator to an alternator, & what amount of amps do I need. Car is a three speed w/OD 312 engine. No power or a/c. I noticed someone is advertising a converter for around $40.00. Any ideas on other costs. I'm finding that decent generators are getting harder to come by.

Ford Blue blood

Gerators are easy to rebuild, all the parts are readily available.  Now having said that replacing the generator with and alternator is easy as well.  Many one wires out there, both Ford and GM.  The 60 amp GM will work all day in your car but the later Ford one wire G2s and G3s will do a great job as well and keep it all Ford!  Google both for the wiring info and hit the Y-block site for mounting info.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hi Skool Hairy

Thanks for the info, I'll try the G3 route, I think the regular factory generator only put out about 35-45 Amps. I know years ago if you had a problem you just went to a junkyard took off a generator and gave the guy $5 and you installed it on site and you were good to go. Not so true any more and far less junkyards.

Hi Skool Hairy

Just for general knowledge-- I just ran across this guy who has been repairing, modifying, & rebuilding alternators and generators for about 35 years. He claims he can rebuild one within 24-48 hours, from start to finish, this is a pretty good turn around time.  Shop is in Riverside, Ca. he lives in s.f. valley.   Arnie--  Inland Alternators  951-354-2373.  Charges $99.00 for a complete rebuild on a 1957 generator.