News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fairlane Front End Rebuild

Started by drof75, 2012-08-08 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

drof75

I bought a complete kit from Kanter 2 years ago and rebuilt the front end with it. 3 out of 4 ball joints are bad and two lower control bushings are bad. ALREADY!!!! Right now this is my only car and can't afford any long term down time waiting on Kanter to replace their stuff. I'd like to find a vendor with better stuff and Do It Once Do it Right to quote Kanter. Who do you guys get your stuff from. Moog has everything but the lower ball joints. The lower seems to be the unicorn of parts for the front end. Any ideas?
:deadhorse:

62galxe

wow i hate to hear that. i just put a kanter kit in mine.

dgasman

Concourse has the lower ball joints . Napa can get them but they are real pricey $$$$$$$$$ PT# RPC10112. They are spacial order from Rare Parts Chassis . They have redesigned them and have a life time warranty BUT list is $245.84 and my cost is $150.12 each WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

wv 57s forever

I bought kanter stuff and one of the lower ball joints went bad or was bad because i had to have new tires every year for three years. would take it to get aligned every year. then the last time i had it aligned the mechanic showed me the bad ball joint that was 5 years ago or more no alignment since.

drof75

I did a search and found this site. p-s-t.com. They have the same warranty as Kanter. Thought I go this route. Anyone have any experience with them. Hopefully these guys aren't using the same cheap stuff.

gasman826

I used all the Moog stuff that I could get and PST for the rest.  PST is working so far.  Lower ball joints are still good after 7500 miles.  Not that many miles but if they were going to fair, I would expect to see some wear by now.

TexasFordGuy

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-08-09 13:31
I used all the Moog stuff that I could get and PST for the rest.  PST is working so far.  Lower ball joints are still good after 7500 miles.  Not that many miles but if they were going to fair, I would expect to see some wear by now.

Do you have the Moog part number and a good vendor?
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

gasman826

Unfortunately, I suck at keeping build sheets with part numbers.  I found the numbers once and I think I will find them again if I ever need them.  This philosophy has bit me in the ass a couple of times and also makes it real difficult to help others.  All I did was ask my Auto Value girl to find me as many Moog front end parts as she could.  I got Moog ball joints and tie rod ends.  The control arm bushings, bumpers, and sway bar were from PST.  I made nylon sway bar bushings for the larger PST sway bar.  I relocated the shocks with Air Tech brackets and air bags.

bossguy

I think Dennis Carpenter has them. Not sure who the manufacturer is.

512Fairlane

I got my ball joints today from Dennis Carpenter.  For the record they are made in China.  Their body to frame kits are made in the USA.  That was the only thing I ordeded that was so far.

Frankenstein57

Man that sucks, I wonder what the cost is on the moog stuff. They have always had the best stuff, hope they haven't gone to the dark side. I rebuilt the front end on my American built snowmobile, the kit I bought was chinese. Poor tolerance, sloppy fit, what a waste of time. bawl

KULTULZ

From- http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic10326-3-1.aspx#bm10353

QuoteHoosier Hurricane - Posted Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:14 AM      

A few years ago when the '57-'64 ball joints disappeared from shelves, I bought the next series, '65-? since it looked like the '57 one in the catalog pictures.  I found I needed to grind out the large hole in the A-arm a little, grind a little off the ball joint flange, and redrill the three mounting holes, and it worked fine.

The stud fits the '57 spindle.

John in Selma, IN

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Frankenstein57

That's good information. The guy who machined his own plates to accept the Chrysler ball joints, I was thinking the same thing for the lowers.I don't know if aluminum plates would work on the lowers, I'd go with a steel plate. :unitedstates:

xsilencex

i just rebuilt my suspension with http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/-strse-front-end-rebuild-kits-dsh-complete-cln-*ford/categories.bok

the kit seemed ok, not great. i had to order inner tie rods from mac's auto. price was good and quality looked good. shipping is better and quicker if you order via phone and not online. I also ordered leaf spring bushings froms mac's as well.