News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Continued Heater Control Cable Question

Started by BWhitmore, 2012-11-21 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

Still have trouble hooking up the dash heater control cables.  The top lever is a single cable attached to the heater box (engine side of the firewall, driver's side lever on the heater box).  The lower lever on the
dash switch has two cables.  I assume one goes to the plenum box inside the car, but I can't figure out where the other cable goes.  Both cables are controlled by the same lever. 

Also this car has an after-market control valve in the upper heater hose that requires a cable.  There is no vacuum port on this valve.

Any suggeestions?  Thanks very much.  Bill Whitmore

Frankenstein57

Bill, I've disassembled 4 cars lately,none had the dual cable setup. But it sounds like one cable goes to the non-vaccum  valve. I have a half dozen shop manuals for the 57-58's, they are at the body shop where I'm helping a friend with his custom 300. Might have time this weekend to take a look.  Mark

BWhitmore

Mark - my guess is the the longer of the two cables goes to the valve in the heater hose and the shorter cable goes to the heater plenum inside the car.  If you see anything in your manuals that would be very much appreciated.  Thanks.  Bill

sprink88

I have a 57 shop manual too. I will try to find it
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Bill the long cable on the top goes to the heater water control valve.  On the factory heater (non A/C) it needs to be hooked up before the heater goes in place.  The long lower cable goes into the engine compartment and hooks to the flap control right at the fire wall on the engine side of the the blower box.  This flap closes off air flow into the heater box.  The shorter cable goes to the flap control on the heater box under the dash.  This flap routes air to the defrost vents.

The picture is of the engine bay flapper....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BWhitmore

I got it.  Thanks so much for the help.  Bill