News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3 speed tranys

Started by dmraymond, 2007-10-08 17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

dmraymond

I went to a wrecking yard and bought this trany . I presumed it was a top loader , but as it turned out is was a three speed with overdrive which looks like a four speed. they call it the four speed imposter. I plan on putting it in my 57 custom any way but I can't find the linkage for it. Does any body know where I can get linkage for this trany?, Denny  Got any stached away, in storage, or any thing.I tried to get a hurst plate to mount it , but can't find one. the trany is a 1977-78.  any help would be great-----  Denny

Ford Blue blood

Is that the tranny with a tail shaft mounted rail type shifter?  If so I don't think any one makes a shifter for it but there are a couple of options.  The shifter from the Ford truck (same year) can be modified or you can use the top plate mounted shift from a Jeep (don't think it will work in the 57).  I used that transmission in a 48 half ton I built.  Took the stock shift handle and shortened it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

dmraymond

I don't think I understand what you are saying, I am of the thinking for example, if hurst had a mounting plate I could use that, but as far as I can tell they don't.I was hoping that someone had one laying around,wishfull thinking uh.

Ford Blue blood

We might not be talking about the same tranny.  The one I used was an aluminum cased top loader that looked like a cast iron top loader but the bosses on the side of the tranny for the shift levers were never drilled out.  The top of the case had a shift rail in it that movered the forks.  It was a three speed with OD in the fourth position.  Came from a mid - late 70s six banger Fairmont (I think).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

dmraymond

My trany looks like a top loader , in fact I thought that they would interchange. the lincage bolts on the tail shaft twards the very end of shaft. There a are four holes there , I don't know how many are used.I think the cars that came with this were columb shifts. But I don't know.  I have hurst four speed lincage, but they don't seam to make a mounting bracket. I suppose I could fab one I just thought some one may have what I need. Leave it to me to buy a odd ball trany. thanks for your help.----  Denny