News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

touch up painting

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-11-21 08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

we all get chips on our cars,  door edges, hood edges,  rocks etc,   does anyone use a air brush?,  instead of pulling out a touch up gun?,    any thougfhts out there?,  thanks   jerry

Meteorman

The way to touch it up is with a small artist brush using only the tip of the brush  and putting the paint only in the chip and not on the paint around it, on the bigger ones sratches ,door edges etc just stroking through the damaged  erea useing only the tip of the brush. You  should use a urethane type paint and it will require an activator, you local paint jobber should be able to mix up a small amount for you if you take in your paint code. dont use a base coat type paint as they are flat and require a clear coat to shine. There is no perfect way of doing it with out painting the whole panel but it all helps tidy it up a a little. hope this makes sense for you. good luck.  Harold.

Frankenstein57

Jerry, sorry to change the subject, I asked my painter about protecting the flat black on your Mach 1. He said don't put anything on it, if anything a soft cloth between the cover and the car. On my black car I've used a sharpie to color in a spot in a hurry,also a small brush and just touch the tip on the spot, Mark

rmk57

There was an article in Hemmings ? about this and the procedure was what Meteorman describes. But they take it a step further by building up the touch up paint higher that the surrounding paint, then colour sanding and polishing so the repair is perfectly blended.  Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429