News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

special ordered cars

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-01-11 13:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Jay's post about his power brake optioned 70D got me to wondering when the last time other members special ordered a car like in the ol' days. I'd have to think if you walked into a showroom nowadays and told the salesman, or saleslady, you wanted to special order a car you'd set them into a frenzy.
I guess it's another of the instant gratification things...who wants to wait 2 or 3 months for their new car to arrive.
The last time I ordered one was in the late 70's in Socal when I tried to order a Chrysler Lebaron with a t-top. I got it ordered, but after 4 months I still hadn't gotten it and had to cancel cause I couldn't wait any longer. When I ordered it they told me 6-8 weeks. That was back in the era when alot of cars were being shipped directly to specialty shops for add-ons and modifications....mostly t-tops, sun roofs and van conversions.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I don't know for sure, but I'm sure today manufactures have already predetermined what is best for you  :005:, Another reason I can add to my list of why I wouldn't buy a new one  :003: And it will only be a matter of time when the Government will be telling what you must buy.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Rich
   You know something That reminds me of the one and only time I ever bought a new car.  It was back in 1965 and I wanted a brand new GTO.  Everything was all set with my
  credit bureau that i belonged to so all I had to do was pick out a car.

I walked into the Pontiac dealership ,told the salesman that I wanted to buy a new GTO and  he kicked me out.   I changed my mind about the GTO and decided to get a 442

So I went to an Oldsmobile  dealership, tried to talk to the salesman about buying a new 442 , guess what happened.   I got kicked out of there also.

I spoke to a fraternal friend who dealt in new cars . He said do you know what you want?  I said yes and showed him my list.  He called another Oldsmobile dealership and said he was sending me over.  I ordered the 442 With these options., two door sedan  with  4 bbl carb.  a Ford three speed transmision and posi traction.  The car arrived with everything I ordered and the cost was $100 over dealer cost.

I drove it the first dealership, parked it across the street, walked in and asked for the owner.  He came out and I pointed at my  new car.  I then pointed at the salesman that kicked me out and told him what happened a few weeks earlier.   The owner blew up  and fired the salesman.

Those were the days when people got kicked out of the dealership if they thought that  you couldn't afford the car.

JA

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-01-11 15:16
I don't know for sure, but I'm sure today manufactures have already predetermined what is best for you  :005:, Another reason I can add to my list of why I wouldn't buy a new one  :003: And it will only be a matter of time when the Government will be telling what you must buy.

Like hiball3985 just stated "I will never buy another new car again".   I  felt that way back in 1965.  I have plenty of cars anyways and I can can only drive one at a time. 

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-01-11 15:29
    Like hiball3985 just stated "I will never buy another new car again".   I  felt that way back in 1965.  I have plenty of cars anyways and I can can only drive one at a time.
I figure my 57, 60 and 66 should last me for the duration at my age.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

That's 100% correct, and you don't have to worry about computer garbage that is not necessary.   

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-01-11 15:44
That's 100% correct, and you don't have to worry about computer garbage that is not necessary.   
How very true. I love having something that doesn't have to go to a dealer for repair at some outrageous amount.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Ordered my 08 Shelby GT500 from the dealer I've done business with for 14 years.  Do an awful lot of traveling and need dependable transportation.  Have had a bunch of new Fords over the years and sold most or traded some.  Have a 2010 F-150 to fetch cars and parts with.  Yup, I'll go with the new stuff all day long for family trips.  Can't beat the comfort, milage and reliability.  I have kids in VA, TX and CO with siblings in WI.  Use the old stuff for rod runs, car shows and just going out for a cruise.

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I'll agree on the comfort but not sure about reliability. I have driven all over the US and parts of Canada in my 60 F100 Panel, 440,000 miles on it now and have never broken down. I wish I had a $1 for every new car I have past sitting on the side of the road  :003: I have added air conditioning but that's about the limit of comfort..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

Worked at Ford dealers for the better part of 40 yrs. Anymore all you can order is certain "packages". About the only choice you have is the sound system. In 97 my sister wanted to order a new Tbird w/posi & antilock brakes. Salesman told her she couldnt have both because it wasnt in any "package" which I knew was BS. I even contacted Fords Tech hotline & got all the info for him and all I got from him was the "deer in the headlights look". She bought a Cougar.
Last new car I bought was a 71 Ranchero. Told the sales guy what I wanted & a few weeks later it came through.

Frankenstein57

One reason I won't have a new car is road salt, cannot fathom dropping 30-$40,000 for a car and driving it in salt. Never had a car payment. :003:  Mark

hiball3985

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-01-12 08:32
One reason I won't have a new car is road salt, cannot fathom dropping 30-$40,000 for a car and driving it in salt. Never had a car payment. :003:  Mark
Good point Mark. I've owned about 40 cars in my lifetime, some nice, some buckets of bolts but I've never made a payment either.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

The Shelby didn't have "packages", the only option I ordered was the GT500 premium trim package.  Don't need 1000 watt stereo, don't need satelite radio, don't need a nav system, the only other option I considered was HID lights.  Then I remembered that Sylvania had discontinued the bulbs used in the MK VIII and didn't want that down the road with this car.

When looking for the 85 Bird I bought the salesman gave me the option book, ended up I knew more about the options then he did.  Didn't buy from him, told him that too, did buy from a lady that new her product, it was and ordered car, took about three weeks.  She ended up being the sales manager several years later.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II