News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door assembly

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-01-11 22:43

Previous topic - Next topic

LAUDY57

The latch I used for my hood is an approx 1975 5th Estate (D*dge) trunk elect/mech latch, don't know what the new trunk latch is from yet- it's mech with a lever I just saw on some aftermarket site. Wish I could say I'll run out and take a pic!
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

Not sure if I'm going to go with just a cable release to the back seat area, or an electric..which actually may be an easier install. Where is the mechanical lever actuated from on yours?
Shame you had to install a hood latch just to satisfy the DMV up there. Seems kinda a waste with the hydraulic tilt setup for the tilt nose.
One other question...I can't remember any specifics about the drivetrain in yours. What's it running?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

LAUDY57

After it's inspected then I can take some crap back off.
Looks like Discover Classic Cars is having a close-out (moving sale). My trunk release is mounted at the top of the drivers side kick panel -can't see in pics. It looks a lot like this Lokar pic.
I was told the engine is a 390, stroke measures that and it's got common 390 heads with some kind of solid cam and 750Holley.
4spd toploader and posi with as yet undetermined ratio.
I'm kicking myself for not looking at the back of the block when I had the scattershield off- the block is a 69 with the hand stamped numbers on the left rear top of the block like 428's had. I need to measure the stroke more accurately.

RICH MUISE

Looks like a nice setup on the trunk release. Back when I was using mine a a daily driver, and the trunk release broke, I just tied a string to it and ran it thru the back seat!! worked great. I was thinking of just running a cable to a pull knob under the front of the back seat.
I've been meaning to ask..when you bought the car, did you drive it home or have it shipped?
BTW, I just googled your town to see where it was. I didn't realize you were so close to Vancouver. Absolutly some of the prettiest country I've ever been in, although I haven't been to any of the islands like where you live. Hoping some day to get back up there. I always wanted to repeat a road trip I did 10 years ago when I finish my car...Vancouver BC to Key West, Fla.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Presents or lack of partial VIN stamped in the block is not an absolute.  Remember the Ford rule...there are always exceptions!  Some argue partial VIN stamping was a Fed requirement started during the '69 model run.  Someone had the job of stamping part of the VIN on or near the upper, left, rear corner of the block.  There is argument whether some were missed and some were stamped on the back of the head.  I have seen both and some so poorly stamped that they barely exist.  In the dealership, there was no requirement to stamp service parts.  For warranty purposes, I was asked to confirm partial VIN a few times.  Partial VIN stamping was not exclusive to 428 CJs.  FYI, I still own a set of stamps! 

LAUDY57

Rich, I did have it shipped to Blaine, Wa and I picked it up with my trailer there. Only trouble was we came back on the one day we actually had snow (not like what's happening in the east right now) but we lucked out with all the problems happening just behind us but the car cover I had on had a small plastic grommet on each side which scuffed the paint down behind the door on both sides. Florida to Vancouver- that would be a trip!
Gasman, that's neat you have those stamps! I've read just what you said in other places -all I know for sure is that it has more than enough power for me -for now anyway!