News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

storm damage

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-05-29 07:31

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Rich:

Echo, the news that you and your family are safe from that storm.  Really bummed to hear about the damage caused to your transportation cars, but glad to hear your 57 escaped major damage.  Out here we are subject to our occasional earthquakes, but it seems like the weather throughout the Nation has been especially brutal to so many people.  Good luck on your reconstruction, hope you have a good shelter for riding out tornado's.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and those affected by the many storms we've had this year.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Thanks again. I was reading a yahoo report on the most disaster prone states in the country..Texas ranks #1. I got a look at my wife's '12 Camry when she got home last night. The only two panels without damage are the passenger side doors. Everything else got hammered. I wouldn't be surprised if repair estimates are in the 15-20K range. Looks like we'll have some decisions to make on that car after we get the estimates.
some pics of why I said I felt real fortunate not having more damage than I did. This is about as close a call as you can get with my '57. All the reflections in the '57's paint are holes in the roofing material. In case you're trying to figure out what my roof is, on most of the roof, I actually have those blue tarps attached to the rafters under the asphalt/fiberglass roof panels. The hail punched holes in the roof, but never got past the plastic.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Unbelievable!! That's to close for comfort, you were so fortunate that the 57 didn't get damaged.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Tom S

Damn, Rich!   What a bummer!
Around here the biggest hail is no more than the size of a pea if even that big.  Good!
I usually just have to worry about volcanoes covering us with some real nasty ash, the occasional 100+ mph windstorm & 9.2 earthquakes that go on for about 4.5 minutes like in 1964.  The big quakes are the scariest.

Not the worst by far but here's the "Main Drag" in March 1964 Anchorage.

Zapato

We get that pea sized hail here also, ground gets covered and looks like a dusting of snow that somehow got past the trees.  Have seen many pictures of hail damage like Rich posted have however never seen how it looks on the ground. just what kind of buildup is common? With golf ball size hail it must be significant. Should be fun driving in it.

We've been having some tropical like rain here, kind you can't hardly see thru. Last night we were meeting some friends for dinner and one of them was late [unusual] as it was coming down so hard traffic had to slow down to 15mph on I-5 due to poor visibility. Not to mention standing water.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Zap...after about 1/2 hour of hail, we had about 1 1/2 deep everywhere. couldn't see the ground. Last year there was an area not too far from here that had a foot deep of hail...never seen anything even close to that much. In Colorado about '82 or so, we had hail about tennis ball size. Sounded like handgranades. I'll never forget the guy across the street trying to get 3 new cars into a 2 car garage...and you know how big 80's cars were. He was running around holding a piece of plywood over his head..ended up getting 2 knuckles broken. The corvette next door was totally wasted....he's like me...always have so much stuff in a garage you can't get a car in.

57dohc

Rich;
First, a belated glad you are okay and sorry for your damage. Your insurance should cover most of your loss and you will end up with a new roof on your house.  I never had to replace a roof in Colorado due to our hail exposure.  The last Insurance statistics I saw for this area was the expectation to replace a roof every 7 years.  Texas can't be very far behind.
You mentioned that 1982 hail storm which I remember well.  The house I was living in had 37 broken window panes and asphalt shingles on the roof were completely gone and most of the roof sheeting needed replacement.  One of my kids left a bicycle out in the yard and the metal tubular frame was dented!
Anyway, good luck in getting everything back to normal.  Your 57 will wait for your attention! Al

RICH MUISE

Thanks Al...I probably won't be making up there for the Goodguys show btw, got too much going on here now and the wife is talking about Alburquerque for a weekend soon anyways. If I change my mind, I'll definetly give you and Marty a ring.

jumping jack flash

Glad you and the family are ok. It reminds me of a 66 Mustang I bought for my wife way back when all the inspections were due in the month of April.The storm hit about on the 29th and the car was really dented and a broken windshield. I had just rebuilt the engine a week earlier.If it weren't for bad luck , we'd have none at all it seems. Traded it off for a Delta 88. She was happy about the storm after that.

RICH MUISE

Thanks JJack...by the way I looked on the map to see how far Fredricksburg is from me.. 7 1/2 hrs. Guess I'll pass on that swapmeet.

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-05-29 15:37
Thanks guys. Uninsured damage was minimal....with no tornado and the hail not any bigger than it was I feel very fortunate.
Jeff...speaking of Bob...I just got to wondering...with all the trips I've made thru salvage yards in areas notorious for weather, I don't recall ever noticing hail damage on any of the parts cars...is that odd or what? I had several thousands of dollars in hail damage on my Jeep 5 or 6 years ago. Never had them fixed. Within a year or so they all disappeared. May be same thing going on in junk yards.

Ya know.. thats true Rich.... I have walked his yard so many times..and there is no evidence of hail damage.... then again.... 30's,40's,50's,60's car were not using metal panels like tin foil as they do today.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com