News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Still over heating

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-21 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

57 Ford Kustom:

Not too long ago I decided I would get more useful information from a good AutoMeter Water Temperature gauge than from a Volt Meter gauge.  I now have both the stock temp gauge and an accurate temperature in degrees gauge.  It make driving in traffic and idling at car shows and cruising more relaxing and when those electric fans come on I can check the operating range of the fans directly.  No more guess work.

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

Bob, nice looking dash! What did you do with your heater controls? I was going to do the thermometer test to get a temp reference on the gauge. I was thinking about getting a numerical gauge to mount under the dash. Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57AGIN

57 Ford Kustom:

Thanks for the compliment on the dash.  When I bought the car the heater control was located in the area where the factory installed heater controls is normally seen.  My car had the inexpensive dealer installed heater, which had a 2-speed on/off switch whose knob could be pulled out like the headlight switch control switch to transfer the heater output to the front window defroster.  I don't like gauges hanging below the dash, where the driver really has to take the eyes off the road to see what they are reading. So I had a custom dash insert made to replicate the original 57 Ford dash insert that holds the temp controls, radio and clock (it isn't an exact match, but pretty close) that would hold 2 gauges in the dash where they could be easily read.  The single knob heater/defroster control was moved into the position where the cigarette lighter used to be (No smoking permitted in 57 AGIN). lol 

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

Bob, I don't like gauges hanging for under the dash either, it is not a look that I like. But I only get hot at idle, and at a complete stop, so the driving distraction won't be there. I plan on removing it once I can get the cooling under control. Thanks, Tim

BWhitmore

You do not necessarily need to mount the new temp gauge.  Whether an electric or mechanical temperature gauge, the gauge can be hooked up and lay the gauge on the center hump allowing you to read the gauge while driving.  After your test is completed remove the gauge.

57 Ford Kustom

Bill, great idea! Thanks, Tim

hiball3985

I use an old mechanical type gauge for testing. I remove the radiator cap, run the engine until the thermostat opens and hot water is flowing at the top tank and take a reading there. When the temp reaches 180 I compare it to the electrical gauge reading. Then continue to watch and see what the highest reading gets to. It's easier then running wires through the firewall and setting up a sending unit for an electrical gauge
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

HOT AT IDLE MEANS THE FAN IS NOT DOING IT'S JOB!!!!!! 

At idle, a cooking thermometer works great and cheap.  Everyone should have one in their tool box!

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-05-31 07:31
HOT AT IDLE MEANS THE FAN IS NOT DOING IT'S JOB!!!!!! 

Zapato

Really hoping that after all this you don't find out you've got either a defective gauge or sending unit.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

Nice article in the June Street Rodder

57 Ford Kustom

Well, you guys were right about the gauge, on the top of the H line my car is only at 185 degrees. But, I did get a 7 blade fan off a 72' Olds that keeps the engine at about 165 degrees at idle! Thanks for all your patients and input, I really appreciate it! Thanks, Tim

hiball3985

That's great news, glad it all worked out for the better. I had a suspicion it was the fan as I posted in the beginning about the problems we had with those after market ones. 
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks Hiball, it was definitely a collaboration of everyone's input that solved my issue! I can't wait to see if my bum spark plug wire is to blame for my engine knock, but with a 1.5" of rain everyday this week I haven't had a Chance to check it out. Today it isn't raining , but work and my son's graduation is eating up my time! Thanks agian, Tim