News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Idea for motivation for `57...

Started by JPotter57, 2007-11-26 10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

How's this for different?  Thinking about doing a 514 stroker 460, with twin Garret T04 turbos, at about 12 lbs boost.  Relatively cheap to build, and from my calculations, roughly 900 hp and over 1000 ft lbs torque, on good gas, turn the boost down a little and still make about 800 on pump gas.  Think that should get me into the 10s?  Planning on 4 link in rear right now with 11 inch tires.  Going to start on that after the first of the year.  Gawd, I cant wait. :roadrunner:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

James,
The big motor w/ turbos sounds good. 4 bar is good...little tricky to set up at first, but is worth it IMO.
Should be in the 9's, not 10's. Heck my old Ranchero ran mid 11's @ 3875 lbs with slapper bars many yrs ago
Have fun, that's what it's about
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

F570RD

James....I'd start with a Motorsport block if your going to keep smoken that stuff  LOL.I did send you an Email a couple of weeks backas per yours.Give a call during the day and I will see it on caller ID and call you back as to save you money for your quest.

JPotter57

Still tossin around ideas for now, though it is fun, huh?  I will likely start ironing out the car with a plain jane junkyard 460, bored .030, D0VE-C heads and a pair of small turbos, just to learn the basics, and figure out the packaging.  Ideally, I would just build another big solid roller cammed stroker with good aluminum heads, and forget it, but I want to do something different.  Once I learn the quirks of a turbo motor, I can turn up the wick a good bit.  I would like to end up with a set of good aluminum heads, O-ringed for the big boost, a good block, and not much more than 514-521 cubes.  If I go naturally aspirated, I may go the bigger route.  I would really like to have one of those 600 inch motorsport blocks, but, I'll be realistic.  I'm about to have to buy a house down here when I sell my place in Tennessee, so, I guess my budget for toys will be small for a while.  Nevertheless, I want something different, something very bad, and something that makes a weird whistling sound at the redlight and scares all of the Bowtie people.  Yes, this is the land of Generic Motors on the gulf coast, and Fords are not very common.  I want to make everyone wonder why they didnt build a Ford instead of wasting their money on the V8 S10 or Camaro, or Nova, or whatever other load they could drag from the boneyard.  But its all fun, right?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.