News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What color from factory?

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-07-27 20:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Does someone know for sure what color this firewall plate would have been when the car was new?   Was it body color or dull black?  I'm pretty sure that it might have been dull black but I'm not positive. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Ford Blue blood

The cover on my retractable is black.  The car has never been painted so I feel this is right.  I'm going to guess it was semi-gloss originally.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ford Blue blood link=topic The cover on my retractable is black.  The car has never been painted so I feel this is right.  I'm going to guess it was semi-gloss originally./quote]

Bill....Thanks for checking that for me.  I had this conversation recently with Rich and he said
just about the same thing.   Seems like he said "black and mostly rust".    Funny how I never paid any attention to those covers back in the day 40 -50 years ago.  jay

RICH MUISE

I dug up an old polaroid and scanned it. This is shorly after I began disassembly. The red on the car had been a repaint, but not the white. Note the black firewall plates
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE  I dug up an old polaroid and scanned it. This is shorly after I began disassembly. The red on the car had been a repaint, but not the white. Note the black firewall plates/quote]

Rich  That's great.  I'm going to copy that picture and keep it with my 57 files.  So you disassembled the one in the picture...   Is that red/white custom your car that you are working on now?  If so, I'm glad that it got saved.  Jay

RICH MUISE

Yep...the same one. It came from the factory all white, but was two toned in '75 when they patched the rust holes. How it is in the pic is how it was as my daily driver for a year, except it had a seat, door and fender.

Ecode70D

Rich
    It looks like it was a 6 cylinder and if it was and if you still have the 6 cylinder radiator, you can solder the 6 cylinder mounting brackets onto an 8 cylinder radiator. That moves the radiator forward about 2" giving you more space.  It also fills in that app 2" void between the core support and the radiator on the 8 cylinder cars.
    That's what I did and it works for me.
Jay

RICH MUISE

It was a 6, but I've got a new aluminum radiator.

Ecode70D

Yep  I know that you  have a new aluminum one.
   I just put that out there to help someone that needs more space and also has oem extra parts laying around like I did when I was doing mine.
    There was a time when I was thinking about moving to Az.  and If I did,I would have installed air and used the 57 as an everyday car.   I was thinking ahead, just in case I might have needed more space.