News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Side vent window frames

Started by Wirenut, 2013-09-15 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Can any members tell me if the side vent window frames can be repaired? I have a 500 (63A) with pitting on the surface and the adjustment bracket is broken.  On the surface it looks like stainless but pitted, it looks like a cast pot metal frame poured all together. I imagine I can have the adjustment arm welded but not sure if it can be re plated.  Any help with this would be appreciated..

RICH MUISE

wish I could help, but I don't know. Some models had a chromed finish, but over what metal I don't know. Many of the models did have a stainless frame..sure glad mine did. I honestly don't know how permanent a fix having it repaired is, once the pitting takes hold....assuming it is pot metal. I guess I always just figured the ones that weren't stainless were chrome plated steel. Is it magnetic? If it is pot metal, permanence probably depends on the shop that's doing it, and of course the price.
lot of I don't know's in the above paragraph.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thanks Rich for the response. It is a cast metal. I have a set that is not broken but pitted real bad, I spoke to a powder coating company and a chrome shop this morning and am taking them to both places to see if they can help.. I was told they have a powder coat that looks very close to polished stainless so I am going to check it out and see if that might be an option..

Ford Blue blood

Powder coating pot metal is "iffy" at best.  Good chrome shops can fix it up but it is $$$$$$.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

I've never seen pot metal powder coated BUT I have seen a set of bumpers that had been powder coated and the finish was very difficult to distinguish between chrome plating.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Wirenut

Limey,No problem in powder coating the pot metal, I found out it had to be stripped at an chrome shop the same as when they re chrome or re plate. Once I looked at the options on the powder coating their closest coating looked more like a argent or grey color, so not an option  for the chrome/stainless look as I was told. I found out that a chrome shop in S.A. wants 175.00 each to re plate the side vents so I am looking for some non pitted that I can purchase. If I do not find any I will spend the money to re plate.