News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Chinese door handle

Started by rmk57, 2013-08-31 20:51

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I bought a factory second outside door handle from ebay last week ,  sellar says its a Dennis Carpentar part. I tried installing it today and ran into problem with the figment of the door button.
The button part of the assembly would not sit flush inside the door handle causing the button to jam and not return. I ground off what was nessasary and got it to work but if we're paying $62.00
I would be a little pissed. I only paid 12 bucks and it is nice and shiny so I'm ok with it.

Randy

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

GaryI72

I bought a passenger side manifold off eBay for a dodge 440, mine in the RV had a bad crack. Had china stamped right on the side. Had to go take it to the machine shop to get milled flat enough to get all my bolts to work. Glad to hear it worked out ok for you in the end.

gasman826

I just got my exterior door handles back from the plater.  I considered after market replacements but decided to go with my original handles that I knew fit and worked!  It cost more ($180.00).  But I know my buttons will fit and work.  I don't have to find look for metric screws and they still say FOMOCO on them.

Though...a little elbow work and twelve bucks is a really good buy!!! 

RICH MUISE

I've had my new Dennis Carpenter handles for years now..probably bought them 5 or 6 years ago. The new button assy's are newer, got them at Classic auto parts probably 2 or 3 years ago. No problems with either....maybe the newer ones aren't made as well? Buttons were made in China...not sure of the handles, don't remember seeing a made in china on the box or parts.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

For $12.75 it was a good deal. It's a new part with a slight flaw in the chrome but good enough for my weekend driver. My original handle was badly pitted and would have cost quite a bit to get to where this new one is.
When ever you can, always try to get original stuff.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-01 11:48
I've had my new Dennis Carpenter handles for years now..probably bought them 5 or 6 years ago. The new button assy's are newer, got them at Classic auto parts probably 2 or 3 years ago. No problems with either....maybe the newer ones aren't made as well?

Rich
Did the standard screws fit yours and did the buttons fit?
I bought mine about 10 years ago from  somewhere and never took a good look at them. 
Jay

rmk57

My original screws fit and lined up properly, it's flange part of button assembly wouldn't sit inside the door handle squarely.A couple strokes with a die grinder solved the problem.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Don't remember looking for screws...although I nearly always replace even new screws with stainless.
I may have just used screws that came with the parts.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

I think that I had better dig mine out and start checking everything for fit so  I don't have any surprises when the time comes to install them..

hiball3985

I'm always complaining about the Chinese after market parts, but as someone else mentioned it is the person or company who has the parts made responsibility to see they are correct.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Well I just came in from checking out my door handles that I bought from some unknown vendor  10 plus years ago.
    Threads were standard and had to be cleaned up with a tap.
     Button part fit the handles but was kinda tight.  Applied white lube to the hole for the button and some on the rubber piece on the button it's self and worked them a few times.  They work well now and are temp. installed on the car . They are working and don't look too bad for re pros.
     Kinda glad that I played with them now before the car got painted. 
      Originals would have been better, but these will have to do for now.
      Spent about one hour on each side so that wasn't too bad.