News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

heater core

Started by sodfather, 2013-09-04 12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

sodfather

I have a bad heater core . should be easy to remove but how do I get the plenum off to access the core ?
    Ken

RICH MUISE

Do you have the factory installed heater, or the dealer installed heater?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I think mine is factory, just a few small sheet metal type screws. I need a core also, the PO put in one with no temp control  :005:, another thing on the list  :002:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

I too bought a car with no controls on the heater.  In addition, there was no valve on my core.  You may have this on yours.

The equipment to make it work like it came from the factory would be expensive.  I ended up buying an inline valve that could be controlled by a cable attached to the dash control unit.  The cable was about $10 and the inline valve was about $25 on eBay.

It works great.  You can control the air flow and water flow from the dash and I'm the only person that knows it is a poor man's solution.  I used it last winter in Denver and there was no problem.

I can send pictures if you want to see what I did.

Rich

hiball3985

I have all the dash cables but not a core with the valve. Good idea, I could use an inline one, I know what they are, but not sure if the stock cable will reach that far.. Right now I just have a manual shut off valve on the manifold, off in the summer, on in the winter  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

sodfather

Rich, it looks like factory but then I don't know what a dealer installed would look like

Ken

RICH MUISE

Ken..the easiest way to tell is looking at your firewall from the engine compartment side. There are two large openings on the passenger side..one above the seam in the cowl area, and a larger one right below it, below the firewall seam line.
The dealer installed heater will only be using the lower opening, and there will be just a cover plate on the top opening. The Factory installed heaters used both openings, as the units drew ouside air from the cowl.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sodfather

I hate to appear ignorant about the heater , but is the core removed from the engine side
or the passenger compartment ?      Ken

Ford Blue blood

Ken if you have a factory heater assembly (long looking thing under the dash with three lever control in the dash) the heater core will come out from inside.  The heater hoses of course removed in the engine compartment.  Remove the defroster control cable from the assembly inside the car.  Remove six or seven screws that hold the assembly together (look out for the defroster vent coupling) and the core will now be exposed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II