News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

combination universal joints

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-10-01 09:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I may be the last person on this forum who didn't know about this, but just in case...
I found out yesterday, much to my pleasant surprise, that combination, or adaptive type, universal joints are very common and redily available at your local parts house. I used O'Reillys. To increase the number of posible combinations from off the shelf stuff, you may need to purchase two joints, or special order something. Apparently, the common type uses different bearing cap designs, and outside diameters, but the inside diameter where the the needle bearings fit are the same, so the caps can be interchanged from one joint to another to suit your needs. The overall length of the legs is the other variable. I needed a joint with 1 1/16 plain caps x 3 5/8 length for the Mark viii driveshaft, but a 1 1/16 x 3 1/4 length for the '57 oem differential yoke. The one they had in stock had the two different correct leg lengths, but a wrong cap design and diameter on one of the legs. A simple matter of switching caps and I had what I needed with no special ordering. The special u joints are more costly @ 24 each, as opposed to 9. for a standard, or 15 for a "super strength" lifetime, but that's way cheaper than having to find or modify yokes to suit.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

My NAPA store here has a book that list the size of the various configurations and combinations that are out there.  Just need the cup diameter, cup spacing, outside lock or inside lock for both ends and there will be a number that will come off the shelf and do the job.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

And loaner tools to get the job done...easy solution for a welcomed change.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

1310, 1330, 1350, seem to be the most common combination of hybrid u-joints.
I had to use a couple with my c-6 and large rear yoke with my stock driveshaft.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

Combo joints were in some OEM applications.