News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aluminum head exhaust manifold studs

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-09-09 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm going to replace the rusty exhaust manifold attaching studs on the 4.6 since 1/2 of them came out anyway when I took off the manifolds. Should the new ones be loctited in, or no need, or just the opposite with anti-sieze?
never mind...they're in with anti-sieze.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CableguyJJS3

Stage 8 locking header bolts and you'll never look back.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

So, these are bolts rather than studs? I'm now realizing if I use the oem type studs, I won't be able to remove the manifolds without removing the studs first. That'll be a major pita once the car is assembled.

Ford Blue blood

Rich make sure the manifolds are trued up prior to installation and they should never have to come out of the car again!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Hadn't really checked them for flange flatness, which is what I assume you're talking about. They were in pretty good shape when I got them...just needing a little cleaning up and paint. I did fit check them on the motor and they seemed to mate just fine. I'm of course putting new gaskets in, so I hope your right....can't remember ever having to pull an exhaust manifold.
Some of the bolts are difficult to get to at best once it's in. I just came in to give my body and hands a rest after spending an hour getting the first one on. Passenger side next...gonna be a tighter fit, but still no clearance issues I can see that would require trimming the upper control arm bracket as several others had mentioned they did. Must be a difference in exhaust manifolds. Al (57dohc) said his cleared also. I may have been able to drop the motor in with them on..not sure, but I'm scratching up enough stuff as it is so decided just to add them after. Not sure that was the right choice now, but..it's in and hopefully not coming back out.

RICH MUISE

Both exhaust manifolds are on. The right side is a tighter fit than the drivers side. I got to wondering why, and checked the centerline of the engine at the crankshaft pulley bolt, and found the engine to be off center the same 5/16" that I had previously posted I had found at the oem tranny mounting holes. If I hadn't first discovered the offset at the tranny, I would be wondering why. I'm just not going to worry about it..seems like Ford planned it that way for whatever reason. Seems farfetched for an old production car, but posibly to balance weight with a driver?, or as we had previously discused, a slight offset to help with pinion angle...maybe both.