News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How much does front sheet metal weigh?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-09-28 20:03

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

So, I got my engine/tranny in and dropped it down off the jacks. I wasn't sure what to expect, with just the donuts on the front. I have new coil springs, which I understand take a hundred miles or so to nest in to their final ride height. I have the old leaf springs in the back yet. checking along the rocker panels, I'm still higher in the front by about an inch.
Does anybody have any idea how much the front rises up when you take off all the sheetmetal, core support, radiator, battery, etc?....or drops when you put it back on?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich I think you can throw about 400 lbs on the front radiator support and be close.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

400lbs seems kinda heavy to me, wife and I have moved my front clip a few times without even beginning to strain, that's without radiator or battery which together specially if you're using an Optima wouldn't be as heavy. front bumper and brackets will add a little also.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

I agree 100% with ZAP.   We have carried those front ends around  with no strain also. 

hiball3985

It all adds up, radiator, weight of coolant, oil, front clip, hood, battery, I'm guessing 250-300 easily. After you put some miles on it she should settle down a good inch.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

More what I was thinking when I misspoke and posted "sheet metal"...I was wondering total weight of everything that wasn't on the car now...so, more like the total weights Bill and Hiball posted.
I was getting curious about where my car was going to end up sitting as it is configured now with the dropped spindles. Also, need to take it into consideration when setting the engine angle. As it sits now, with an 1 5/8 (2x4) spacer on the tranny crossmember, the engine is tilting back about 5 degrees..probably not too far off from where I would like it @ 2-3 degrees once the front end lowers/ rear rises  to where I want it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

410ranchero

Man I wish I would have seen this yesterday. I just pulled my entire front clip. Its all packed up a set of stairs now. The front fenders are surprisingly heavy. I think closer to the 400 with all the inners, bumpers, bolts, radiator, core support etc.