News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hard Water Spots

Started by BWhitmore, 2013-11-02 16:41

Previous topic - Next topic

BWhitmore

I have some hard water spots on a side window glass.  So far I have tried with limited success  a razor blade, scrubbing bubbles, and vinegar mixed with baking powder.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

RICH MUISE

I think I'd try CRL with a mild abrasive pad. It's a kitchen/bath cleaner for lime, rust, and calcium deposits. Lowe's or home depot..maybe walmart. For the abrasive pad,one of those scrubby shower thingies that are a ball of brightly colored fabric works real well on stuff you don't want to scratch. (I use them with the CRL to clean the fiberglass shower walls...abrasive enough to clean, but won't harm the surface). They can be had at walmarts in the soap and shampoo section...your wives may already have one, but I wouldn't advise using her's with the crl. LOL
Be careful with the paint though I would imagine...be ready to wash off drips.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

I think what Rich said might work. I've heard that 0000 grade steel wool works good on glass ... but you didn't hear that from me! Grade 4 will give you a nice etching affect. 

Mark

Go to a glass shop and see what the have, I went to one here and they sold me CRL Sparkle --Works great

RICH MUISE

That's funny...not even sure why I looked but the "CRL" in this case stands for C.R.Lawrence co.
The nationaly known brand stands for Calcium, Lime, Rust
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

Used CRL with a fine steel wool pad.  Not much luck.  These stains are very stubborn.  Found a nice used replacement glass yesterday from a wrecked car (Mercedes).  Thanks to all for the advice.

Mark

With the C R L , I had no trouble cleaning up the rear window for my car, try to find some, it was only about $5

hotroddonnie

Well I guess that's the end of that then!

62galxe

BWhitmore

I was able to pick up the replacement window at the local Pick a Part for $10.00 and it took me about 2 hours to replace the window.  I will try Bon-ami on the old window and hopefully I will have a spare window.