News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

This is why I am into the 57 Ford

Started by Jerry Box, 2013-11-29 23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

That would be the best way. I just used a new drain tube..same as oem. I think Bob and Rick did an extention of the tube so it drained outside the wheelwell. Not sure what he did, if anything, for a different type of connection to the cowl though. If you were going to replace the rubber with steel, you'd have a tough time reaching the joint for welding, even with a temp. window cut in the firewall. I think my solution is going to be a rubber seal under the cowl vent to keep water out to begin with.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

suede57ford

Steel tubes could be fabricated and instead of welding I would make the new tube slide over the original pipe and glue them with 3M panel bond adhesive.  The 3M adhesive is an epoxy and has a corrosion inhibitor to prevent the seams from rusting.

I use the 3M panel bond as a seam sealer on all the seams of the car as well, because it never shrinks cracks and can go over both bare and painted metal.

Did you know that you cannot put regular automotive seam sealers over bare metal?  Most all should be applied over primed(and not spray can etch, which is a huge no-no).  Only 3M panel bond or 3M bare metal seam sealer should be used over unprimed metal.

I recommends the 3M 8115 Panel Bond adhesive in the drip rails and firewall seam of our cars too.  The product originally designed for that application was called Drip-Check seam sealer, which was designed to shrink to make a u shaped sealer, but the problem is it always continues to shrink.   Using the panel bond will never shrink.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hiball3985

I used small diameter radiator hose and clamps.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

Rich & Jerry:

I've attached 4 photos of the cowl drain set up in my 57.  I didn't take a photo of the cover plate for the drain tube looking at it from the outside of the car, but we used the stock cover plate to run the heavier duty drain tube down to connect to the fender well.  Rick's 57 has fender well headers, so he didn't use the same method he used on my 57.  The object of running the drain to the outside of the fender well is to prevent all the rain or wash water from draining down into the space at the bottom of the fender at the rocker panel that always collects road grime & dirt which turns into mud and collects down there to form a built in rust trap.  By going through the fender well to the outside water just drains down to the road.  Some water will get there if driven in the rain, but this way it isn't directed to the rust trap.  Does that make sense???  Seemed like a good idea to me, but it sure isn't stock.  You really have to be looking for it to spot it way back under the fender.

Bob
57 AGIN

Jerry Box

Thanks for the help. I like the way it go out of the fender, I think I will do that. Nice looking car when I paint I was thinking of blue and silver but not written in stone yet. And the pictures make it so much easier to understand. Thank for the info on the 3m panel bond.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com