News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Thought I'd ask this trunk lock question

Started by hotroddonnie, 2013-11-28 22:07

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

I have finished my trunk lock, it works and I like the plain look. How many different types of trunk locks did Ford have for 57?

wildhog

HRD there were 2 styles one for the 300 body and one for the 500 body. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Zapato

HRD, glad you posted that picture. Don't believe I've ever seen that style lock on a custom before. The other version is the Ford crest with a sliding to the right side bar that hides the lock. Have to wonder why Ford used 2 different locks on specially the base models or even on the fairlanes.

Zap- :unitedstates:

I'll have to be more observant.......
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hotroddonnie

Well Zapato if mine is correct, then there are 3 types of locks. For what I'm doing....I'm happy.

Ecode70D

HRD
    Is yours different because it may be a Canadian version?

Did you take a real good look inside your trunk lid just below the opening for the lock to see if  there is some repair work done or slight alteration?  It just does not figure that they would have made two types of lock for the custom series.

You remember that guy Jeff?   If  you take a look at the inside of his trunk you will see the extra hole.  It is like an elongated square hole.

Like I stated before.  I do like the simple clean look of yours.   Jay

Jeff Norwell

Jay.I spoke with Donnie this morning...and that's exactly what we discussed... maybe some strange Canadian version...... or maybe a Meteor....don't know
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Zapato

HRD,ok! now I know what 2 look like what does the 3rd one you now of look like?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

HRD's lock looks like a 58 put into a 57 trunk lid to me.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hotroddonnie

Okay let's see, if mine is correct then that's 1, the one with the ford emblem that swings 2, then the one with the Fairlane name on it, the long v tupe 3. My lock hole was like a tear drop with no other hole below. So that's all I got....honest!

wildhog

HRD There are only 2 styles of locks the one like yours off a 500 and the one with the sliding top off a 300.

hiball3985

Quote from: wildhog on 2013-12-05 10:35
HRD There are only 2 styles of locks the one like yours off a 500 and the one with the sliding top off a 300.
Does the wagon use the 500 lock?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

Don't know if this helps, the lock is on the Custom I'm selling.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hotroddonnie

Well Laudy 57 you took some great shots, thanks. That is the same as Jeffs. Wildhog has told me twice now that there are only 2 types and I think Zapato as well, so I stand corrected....only 2 types of lock were available on the 57s.

wildhog

Hiball, Yes the wagon used the 500 lock.