News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windshield and rear window trim removal

Started by chero69gt, 2013-12-28 18:12

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

Hi everyone, first, I want to wish all of you a Happy New Year!
Now my question.  I'm close to getting my 57 Custom painted, and
I would like to remove the trim from around the windshield and the
rear window for polishing. Can this be removed and reinstalled
without removing the glass? If so, what is the
suggested procedure?

Thanks,  Roger

RICH MUISE

Unless somebody has a trick for doing this, my guess would be it cannot be removed without the seal....at least without damaging something. The trim has an L shaped leg on it that the seal closes around to hold the trim in place. Assembly calls for the glass, seal, and trim to be installed as a unit. If the seals are old...particularly original..you may want to think about just pulling everything out. That would also make for a better paint prep job, particularly above the windshield..that area under the drip rail is hard to get to properly with the seal/trim/glass in place.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57chero

Every one I have done starts by removing the inside moldings and cutting the rubber weather strip off enough to push the window out from the inside and then carefully peeling the rubber off the glass and then carefully removing the stainless trim from the rubber. Some I've seen have a small little tab on the end of the stainless trim under the corner pieces with tiny little screws into the body. Reinstalling the glass the rubber goes on the glass then the trim then back on the car then the corner pieces. I've watched the glass guy I use do it several times.

57chero

Forgot to mention your going to need new front and rear rubber.

gasman826

If it's due for paint...it needs new seals.  You get a better paint job to boot.

chero69gt

Thanks for the info, guys.
I was hoping there was an easier way, but I guess I will
have the glass removed and put in new seals when I get
it painted. As gasman said, it will result in a better paint
job anyway.

Roger