News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 overheating

Started by whisper38, 2013-12-24 09:30

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

after about 5 minutes or so the water is boiling over in the radiator,I wondering sense the guys at the garage plugged off the bypass on the housing if this can cause the problem,see the attached picture.

robhaerr

You may be on the right track.

Here is a photo of mine (red motor). I do not have the heater hooked-up, so you see the heater hose port that I have plugged.

I don't have any overheating issues.

I have also found a photo with heater hoses routed (blue motor). One of the hoses goes into the intake manifold behind the thermostat. You and I just have the temp gauge sensor in that spot.

Your garage guys seemed to attach the hoses like a Chevy would be routed.

Hope this helps...

Rob

hiball3985

I'd find a new garage, hook that up correctly. Why was it plugged in the first place?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JPotter57

Yeah, that's wrong.  This is what happens when a scrub mechanic works on a Ford.  Put on a bypass hose then add the nipple to the intake and route the hoses properly and your overheating issues should disappear.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

whisper38

Yeah its hard to find good mechanic anymore,I went got the bypass hose ,they didn't have the 90 degree fitting to go in into the Edelbrock intake for the heater hose.And robhaerr (blue motor)thanks for the pictures they helped alot.
Merry christmas to eveyone.

Hoosier Hurricane

Check to be sure the thermostat isn't installed backward.  John

whisper38

got everything rerouted,ran it for about ten minutes,no leaks no overheating.the only other thing was alot water vapor coming out the exhaust its been cold here 20 degree at sunrise, 51 degree when I sarted the ranchero up,after i put the hoses on.But its looking up.

hiball3985

Thats good, check the coolant level several times after running it, sometimes it takes a while to get all the air out of the system..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

whisper38

sense i had to remove the •Engine Coolant Temperature Switch,can i put it in either one of these places?

hiball3985

I don't think there are coolant passages in the rear, those two ports look like vacuum from the intake runners. My stock manifold and my old Edlebrock both had two ports in the front for heater and temp sending unit.

Edit: looking again with my glasses on it looks like a coolant port on the left front
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

That is where mine is installed on my 351w hyball.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.