News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Carb question

Started by Ron, 2014-01-05 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Can someone let me know what the correct 4-barrel carburetor is for a 1957 Ford Tudor Ranch Wagon with a 292 ci Y-block, Fordomatic transmission, and 4-barrel intake manifold?  If it's a Holley, what is the model number and where is the best place to find one?  My Ranch Wagon had the original carb removed sometime in the past by a PO and I'd like to replace it to keep the car stock.  Many thanks, Ron.

Frankenstein57

Not sure , but you can get lot's of info on this at Yblocks forever site

sprink88

I would guess it is the Ford Autolite 4100. A few had Holleys.
~Chris

wildhog

There were 3 different four barrels offered on the 57 Ford Most had Holleys ,some had a Ford Carb, looks like an autolite, also used a Carter A.F.B. Also the 2x4 cars used the Holley T pot carb. In dyno tests the Auolight style carb. made the most  H.P.
Any of these would be correct for your 57.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

I'm thinking I remember one of the service bulletins I posted had a list of the different carburetors used on different engines. I'll brouse thru my book of hard copies while I'm watching the game...it'll be easier than opening up every bulletin.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ron

Many thanks, everyone.  The carb that's on there now is an Autolite, and until I read your posts, I thought it was incorrect for the car.  You saved me time and $$$.  Ron

RICH MUISE

I found the bulletin, however unless you have a Ford Parts conversion, it may not help you. There are two pages of carburators used for different applications, but they all have a B7A-9510-(X) number assigned. The X number would determine which carburator was used.
Anyways..see if will help you..Bulletin #350, pgs 3 and 4. The bulletins are posted by number in our technical drawings, and...section.
Interesting though...according to the Bulletin, they didn't put a 4v carb on 292's. Also of interest is the 272's were only put in Customs, and the 292's were only put in Fairlanes. 312's were put in both Customs and Fairlanes.
Edit.....should have said 292's only put in Fairlanes, wagons and thunderbirds. Not sure about Rancheros.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

That is interesting Rich
~Chris

SkylinerRon

All 3 carbs were indeed sold on 312's. My 3 Skyliners each have a different set-up.  Easy way to tell which it came with is all 3 have different fuel and vacuum steel lines and don't interchange without a lot of rebending!
Only 312's came with 4 barrels. 272-292 was 2 barrel only.
If your car's serial # starts with C it came 292, D is 312.
The Holley is List # R1273. It is 410 cfm.  1957 was the first year of production for all 3 carbs.
Hope this helps,
Ron.

Frankenstein57

The tag on my 57 ranchero says 292, it also has the twin heat shields for dual exhaust. I remember Gary saying that was not to common.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-01-06 22:01
The tag on my 57 ranchero says 292, it also has the twin heat shields for dual exhaust. I remember Gary saying that was not to common.

Yup, the wagon I had was a 6 banger and it had both heat shields.....the Ranchero was a 292 single exhaust and it too had both.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ron

Ron--My wagon's VIN starts with a C, so it appears it came from the factory with a 292 and 2 barrel carb.  A PO from the past apparently installed a 4 barrel carb and intake.  Here's a question: when you make this kind of "upgrade" to a 4 barrel carb, do you have to change the carb linkage also?  My wagon has the Fordomatic and the kick-down doesn't always work as it should.  I wonder if that's because the bell crank linkage isn't correct for the 4 barrel carb?  Thanks, Ron

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-01-06 23:33
Yup, the wagon I had was a 6 banger and it had both heat shields.....the Ranchero was a 292 single exhaust and it too had both.
My Ranchero is a C 292 and it has both heat shields for dual exhaust.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

If you still have the original kickdown it should work. All wgns w/v-8 auto except the 2x4 or supercharger models used the same one.
Different springs are used on those. Sedans and hrdtp's are slighty different springs too.
You may just need a slight adjustment to the kickdown rod.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.  Ron...