News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

aftermarket radios

Started by rlibew, 2013-12-22 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

rlibew

Has anyone used the classic radio or the crutchfield retro radios in their 57 ford. I really do not want to put the stock AM radio in dash as place holder with remote hid a radio elsewhere.   

wildhog

I bought a classic with a cassete player am radio. Did not work very well at all. I just had my original Town & Country radio up graded. It was rebuilt with circuit boards, no tubes, just like a modern radio . The neat thing it looks stock. The search still works and it is Am-Fm and has jacks to plug in all the late model acc.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

I too bought a Classic reproduction 1963 Galaxie radio from a company in Florida. You will spend the same money by getting a company to modernize a nice original radio and get a better radio to boot. I like the modernized 57 Town and Country radio I have better than the new 63 Galaxie classic restoration radio. Sounds a whole lot better too.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57AGIN

rlibew:

When I did my original refurbish back in 2001-04, I bought a Custom Auto Sound radio for a 57 Ford dash with AM/FM, in-dash cassette player and a 10 disc Cd changer installed in the trunk.  When finishing up my 2011 rebuild, I added an inexpensive amplifier to give just a little more sound quality (box is located under the front seat, see install photo).  I've been very happy with both.  I primarily listen to the Cd's, lots of surf music, Duane Eddie, Ventures and other period (my period) music.

Bob
57 AGIN

rlibew

I have purchased a Retro 2 radio from Crutchfield, I'll let you know how it worked out.   I also purchased a remote amplified antenna as I have eliminated fender mounted antenna. 

RICH MUISE

Bob....not to hijack this thread...but smiled when you mentioned Duane Eddy. Other than a few black blues guitar players, he was THE man on a guitar as far as I was concerned back then. "The Twangs The Thang"..probably still got that album in a box somewhere. He had to be huge inspiration for guys like Peter Frampton, imho, the all-time best on a guitar.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Duane was great but, Link Wray was "the man".

Ron.

rlibew

My retro sound radio is installed in dash, looks great ,now to the wiring. still can't post sorry !!  would love to share pics' My car is in final stages of assembly with stainless trim being installed, than head liner will go in than windshield and windows  than if I can find the cash custom interior. I'm not going crazy with interior, but will go with charcoal gray leather interior close to original design. I've read and agree if you stay with original it never goes out of style but I have modified dash with Auto meter gauges ( tack boost voltage temp clock and speedo) and turned aluminum facing. I guess I'll have to get the grand children to help me post.     

Zapato

I plan on some 60s hi-tech, Ford factory AM/8 track player, after all who really needs a radio as long as the organ pipes (exhaust) are in tune.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72