News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 sedan, rust bucket restoration

Started by Frankenstein57, 2014-03-02 20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

The dirt trackers in our area have a strong following of history buffs, recreating  or restoring old cars. There is one family that raced old fords, mostly 57 and 63's, that currently have a 57 under construction. This was his first racecar, so they are saving a rustbucket to rebuild it. Take a look at these photos, he is stamping his own floor pans from homemade dies. Since I first saw there work, I've had them to my shop last week, and we have struck a deal to have him replace the rusted panels on my 57. My intention was to do it myself, but between work and restoring the house I bought, I don't have the time. So please take a look at his work, and tell me what you think.  Mark

http://imgur.com/a/1SUt1

petew

That is some nice metal work there, looks like a real quality job.

RICH MUISE

Well this isn't their first rodeo that's for sure. My main concern with what I could see in the pictures is the fact that's a ton of cutting without bracing the car. I'm no expert for sure, but I've done a ton of observing, and most I've looked at being done start with body bracing before any major cutting. Did I brace mine when I did it? No, but I did small sections at a time.
Another concern is what I can't see in the pics..really nice job on the lower rear quarter section, but did they replace any of the inner? Same with the work at the lower front post. Just can't tell from the pics.
I'm assuming what their working on is far more decayed than yours, but I'd keep a close eye on what they do as they are going along so you can make some judgement calls. If that were mine they are doing in the photo, I would have opted for a new EMS panel between the tailights. I just don't think what they are doing to that is going to last very long given the amount of rust they replaced and haven't replaced yet.
As I mentioned, the work they are doing seems to be done well, so with some watching, you'll probably end up with a good job. JMHO
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Rich, I probably should have elaborated a bit more. When we patched up a car for a dirt car back then, we would weld in some metal,or even pop rivet in a patch. So the work they are doing is way over the top for a replica dirt car.  I've seen some rockers being replaced recently , and there is no door on the car. My body man says you should get the door adjusted to the roof and quarter lines, then replace the rockers. All while sitting on its wheels if possible. My 57 is exceptionally solid from that standpoint, the inner rockers, jams and floor pans are very good. Shouldn't need much bracing. The photos were meant to show metal skills, they also prefer the butt weld to the overlay for cars meant to last.  I guess my point here was also to show how this car is being saved from the schredder,  they were aware of the ems panel being available but opted to make there own repairs due to budget limitations, Mark

RICH MUISE

It is great to see another '57 salvaged, and as you said probably over the top for a dirt track car. I wasn't really thinking along those lines as I should have. LOL, They didn't get waxed and detailed very often did they? Sounds to me like you've got a good plan/deal worked out, and as was said, their metal working skills sure aren't lacking.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe