News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally some progress

Started by 4thgen57, 2014-03-10 18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

The nice thing about soda blasting is it's water soluble, cleanup is much easier, and you don't end up with sand coming out of nook and crannies forever. Downside is it's ineffective on rust..it won't remove it like sand blasting or abrasive wheels, so if your doing a car that is almost all painted, and removing the paint down to bare metal, soda blasting is great, but, if your doing a car that has a lot of surface rust, not so good. I soda blasted the inside of my doors after scrapping out sound deadener. It was the only was I could get the inside down to bare metal short of chemical dipping. Dipping should be avoided altogether...to many problems with residual chemicals lurking in the cracks and crevasses.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

Blasting (sand or grit, but be careful with sand because of silica dust) is the most effective way of removing rust, using abrasive dics won't get into the pits and end up polishing over the top.  I always blast rust, BUT I plug every single hole with old cloths and mask any areas I don't want the sand/grit to get using duct tape and cardboard.  I use an el-cheapo blaster that has a flexible hose on the bottom that you just stuff into a bag of kiln dried sand.  A bag of sand costs around $8 from Home Depot type places but don't underestimate the mess......  I do mine at the bottom of the garden and it sometimes resembles a beach!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

4thgen57

Thanks to everyone, I think im gonna try blasting it. Will make sure to move around and take breaks to let the metal cool. Nice thing about having a buddy with an Auto shop, I can use his blaster out back and not worry about the mess. Got one fender pretty much welded up. Its the pass fender and has an antenna hole in the top. Will have to cut a piece out of my original (as its solid up there) and tack it in. Little worried about that part with the body lines in the top of the fender. Just trying to take pride in doing it myself and tired of waiting on my "body man" to have time. Going to start the drivers fender this weekend.

gasman826

Nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself.

Ecode70D

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-03-13 19:53

Amen.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-03-13 19:53

What he said X2!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

4thgen57

Filled the antenna hole today. Not the greatest but I think itll work.

RICH MUISE

nice job. This is a good spot to hit it with a body file to make sure you don't have a high spot. If you do, just work it down with a hammer and dolly. Better low than high. Well done.

4thgen57

Thank Rich! I am slowly gaining a little confidence. But also trying not to be cocky. The body line in the middle is a little over an 1/8 inch low. Should be able to build it up with filler. It s my fault, I used the grinder too much! But I learned what not to do!

RICH MUISE

Make sure any areas where filler is used is scuffed up with a coarse sandpaper/disc before applying. If it's too smooth it increases the chances of not adhering.

Ecode70D

Nice fitting job.   From what  I can see, it looks like you butt welded that piece in there.  That ridge is very forgiving with the heat.  When you get into your flat surfaces, remember to go veeeery sloooowly and don't overheat the panel or it will warp..

4thgen57

Started on the drivers fender today. Found some rust holes and old filler in bottom. Cut it out and tacked back in. Had a helper today too.

RICH MUISE

Great to see the family thing going on there! Nice job on the patch. If you're as slow as me, your boy will have his driver's license when it's done. Keep the pics coming.