News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Off topic, about light bulbs.

Started by Lou, 2014-04-07 13:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou

I need to replace the light bulbs in my office, I'm thinking about halogen bulbs but because I have several framed color magazine adv on my wall I'm worred that these new bulbs will wash out my frame ads and pictures. Does anyone know it the halogens are safe for the pictures and prints.?

RICH MUISE

First..glad to hear from you..it's been awhile.
From what I know about lighting, it's the "temperature" of the bulb that makes a difference. What you probably want for art work is a "daylight" temperature bulb(a cool light as opposed to a warm one), regardless of incandescent, halogen, or LED. Places like lowe's and home depot should have displays where you can see the temperature of the light.
Now...a little more technical from my 23 years in the art gallery business. If you were talking about fading when you said you were worried about the new lights "washing out" your artwork, any type of lighting will/can fade artwork. Especially sunlight. Art is meant to be displayed, some will hold up to long term display better than others. If you have artwork valued in the 5 or 6 figure bracket and you're worried about it...unframe it, store it in acid free wrapping and containers in a dark humidity controlled envoirment.Unfortunate, but the truth. My point is take ordinary precautions to protect it from the envoirment as much as posible (sun, humidity, heat, etc) and enjoy it..that's what art is all about.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Best bet is to talk to an exhibits person at a museum.  They can look at what you have and tell you what kind of bulb for what kind of display.  As Director of Facilities at McWane Science Center I could not let my guys change bulbs in/on any of the exhibits.  Only the exhibits guys could do it, their director didn't want even the remotest possibility of having the wrong lamp/light on an exhibit.  They are anal about that stuff and will give the best expert advice you will find anywhere.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Guys:

My 2 cents worth is probably worth about that much, but wouldn't some kind of museum quality glass or acrylic plastic help out some?  When I replaced the scratched acrylic cover on my 57's story board, I used museum quality acrylic cover, I was told that not only would it be much tougher to scratch but it would also help reduce the uv from direct sunlight.  So far it seems to be working, but I hope I wasn't sold a "pig in a poke."

Bob
57 AGIN

Lou

I never thought of asking someone in a museum, thanks guys for the advise, I'm going to be in New Haven Friday and plan to talk with someone from Yale's Peabody Museum.

RICH MUISE

I hope I wasn't sold a "pig in a poke."
You weren't...museum glass/acrylic will absorb some of the uv rays.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe