News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What parts are not interchangeable on the 57?

Started by hotroddonnie, 2014-04-13 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

Not sure if this thread has been done before, but I'm finding out the hard way that not all parts work on each model of the 57, it started with the frame for me and now its the rear brake drums with all sorts of other parts during my build. Is there enough parts to start a list? HRD

RICH MUISE

Aside from the many, many obvious model specific parts like trim, glass, etc., the radiators come to mind. The radiators are engine specific (6 cyl vs. 8 cyl).I know there are different types of heater control valves, but I'm not sure if they correspond to the different heater/air systems.
I'm also real hazy on the parts that may or may not be affected by the different wheelbase frames, such as driveshafts, emergency brakes cable. Fuel lines, brake lines are offered by the tubing companies to correspond to the model/wheelbase.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

I wonder how many other car manufactures in 57 had that many models.

Ecode70D

Donnie
    The rear package tray for a business coupe doesn't fit anything not even the car it was taken out of .  So if someone finds a few of them ,  just send them to me and I'll take them off your hands.  Jay

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-04-13 17:02
Donnie
    The rear package tray for a business coupe doesn't fit anything not even the car it was taken out of .  So if someone finds a few of them ,  just send them to me and I'll take them off your hands.  Jay
Saw one for the first time in my life (not for sale) didn't even know they came with one. Hard to find and lots of money if you do.

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-04-13 09:00
I wonder how many other car manufactures in 57 had that many models.

None Donnie,In 1957, Ford brought the most amount of models ever?no other manufacturer had ever done that,or has done it since.
1958 was a bust, for all the big 3. A very heavy recession was under way and things did not get better until 1962.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-04-13 17:23
Saw one for the first time in my life (not for sale) didn't even know they came with one. Hard to find and lots of money if you do.

Donnie
    Did it look something like this?  Next time you find one, just send it to me and you will not have to worry about it taking up storage space.   Jay

alvin stadel

Donnie, I've got a interchange manual that starts 1950 and goes to 1965, it's about wore out but still is usable. I know they are still available and worth there weight in gold, lots of time can be saved by using one. Its no fun chasing and cleaning parts to find out you should have left them where you found them.  take care.

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-04-13 21:05
Donnie
    Did it look something like this?  Next time you find one, just send it to me and you will not have to worry about it taking up storage space.   Jay
Yip that's what it looked like Jay.

canadian_ranchero

you need a interchange manual [mine is a hollander] and a ford parts book,body and chassis