News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hopefully another Colorado get together

Started by RICH MUISE, 2014-04-15 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hey guys...I just got off the phone with Al (57 dohc), and we would like to get another meeting together like we did last year. We are tentatively hoping for May 3rd, as that is the date of the Pueblo River walk car show that I enjoyed so much last year..not a huge show, but a great area and great cars. We can once again meet at Al's place in Black Forest, or at the Riverwalk and then later at Al's. He told me his friend Marty has added a few cars to his stable, so hopefully we can get another tour.
Bill/FordBlueBlood...hope I didn't procrastinate too long getting this started..hope you can schedule a visit to your son(daughter?). Your prescence is requested!! Also a new member, Tom/Hot Rod Custom has indicated he'd be interested. I'll try to call Rich K, and Jon/Sue/Hogwagon
Anybody else that can make it? It would sure be nice to add a few.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

No can do this time around....wedding in WI, niece....only have two nieces and nephews to go.  Not too short, just bad timing.  Missed a lot of this stuff when in the Navy so take every opportunity I can now.  Missed one sisters wedding as a deployment date got moved up after she worked hard to dance around the ships schedule.  We do not have a "plan" for the rest of the summer.  Will hit all the family first of May and see what happens later.  The wife would like to hit the NSRA show in Pueblo, still a long ways off......not looking good to do this year.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Went to Oklahoma last night, got back about 3:30 am, otherwise I would have been making some calls yesterday. I will try to do it today after my brain unscrambles.
Sorry you can't make it this time Bill...hopefully we can get the timing right some time in the future. I think the Pueblo NSRA show is in June, btw.... that was one Co. event I discussed with Al, but he won't be available in June. Al and I did that show last year. The fairgounds are a great spot for a show. Lots of shade, places to sit and watch, eat, etc. Very unlike too many other western venues where there is no shade..just wide open spaces. When you do go to Colorado, let me know. Hopefully you and the wife will be coming thru Amarillo, and we can get together for lunch or coffee.

RICH MUISE

An update. I talked to everybody today, waiting to hear back whether they can make it or not. Tom, the new member from Fort Collins is going to try to make it, and he has a friend from up in his area with a "really nice" '57 Fairlane he is going to see if he can join us also. Tom sold that really nice Custom he had just posted some great pics of recently, but is looking for another driver to replace it..needs air and automatic for his wife, which the Custom was neither.
Jon (Hogwagon) had plans for another Colorado show that day, but is going to see if he can change the plans.
Rich Koburski's car is in body shop jail getting some minor hail damage repaired, doesn't expect to have the car back by then, but heck, most of us doen't actually have drivers yet anyways..hoping he'll decide to join us anyways even without his car.
I've asked everybody to post a response here or pm me..hopefully we can get this worked out and do it again! Two weeks from tommorrow!
Rich

57dohc

Rich,
I am planning on making it to that show.  I did speak with Marty and he would love to show us his new projects along with all the old one we may have seen and some we may have missed.  For anyone that hasn't seen his collection, he must have 20 plus ford and mercurys (1940-1956) along with hundreds of old radios and gas pumps.   I think you could spend a full day there and not see everything.   
You could certainly stop here and look at my project but I'm a bit embarrassed by the lack of progress! Thanks! Al

RICH MUISE

Al, I'm still planning on making it up there. No replys yet from any of the other guys. I'll give you a call on Thurs. to see how things are looking for you. If the weather forcast is not good I may go south to Nacoma instead, but as of today, Saturday's forcast for the Springs is 74 with a 20% chance of rain. I'll probably drive up early Friday. Looking forward to those mountains again... hoping my breathing can handle it!

57dohc

Rich;
Hope you can make it.  I still plan on attending.  I don't know if you have my cell phone ( 719-650 3323 ) as Thursday my wife has chemo treatments and will be at the hospital for part of the day.  She tolerates these pretty well so Saturday shouldn't be a problem. 
Al

RICH MUISE

Al...Barring a major change in weather, I'll be there. I just got a call from Tom in Fort Collins. He is planning on meeting with us as well and may be bringing along 2 friends..one with a retract. and one with a Ranchero. As I mentioned, Tom sold the nice Custom he had for a short while but has activly been looking for another nice driver. He and his friends are not planning on attending the Pueblo River Walk show, so I told him we would probably meet at your place about 2 if that's ok with you. That should give us enough time to do the Pueblo show.
I pm'd Tom your address and directions.

57dohc

Rich;
That sounds great.  I'll give Marty a call tonight to get another tour of his place lined up.  Al

RICH MUISE

Awesome. Thanks again. It sure would be nice to hear from/see Jon and Sue, and Rich K.
Rich

RICH MUISE

Al...got busy tonight...I'll give you a call tommorrow afternoon. I'll be leaving for Colorado first thing in the morning.

RICH MUISE

On my way in about an hour. My cell phone is 806-341-2036
Rich

Hot Rod Custom

I just wanted everyone to know that the get-together, although small, was great fun. Al and Rich are two of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. We got to see Al's project Custom 300 with the Mach I DOHC and 5-speed. This car is coming along nicely and will be really cool once it's finished.

Rich brought photos of his Custom project; very similar to Al's except it's a Mark VIII drivetrain. It's amazing how professional everything Rich has done looks after completion, especially considering it's his first build! This car will be awesome.

The highlight of the day was going to see Al's friend, Marty, and all of his stuff. Marty has a large collection of 1952-'56 Mercuries (two Sun Valleys, a four door Phaeton, a Montclair convertible, a Monterey woodie wagon, etc.) He also has some beautiful 1950-'54 Fords as well and he even has the first car he ever bought - a 1941 Ford Tudor! Marty is a very friendly and knowledgeable guy who has many cool petroliana and Americana collectibles as well. That was really fun.

Today was a great day - beautiful weather, a nice drive to Al's house and making three new friends that truly love their old Fords. Life is good. Thanks, guys. I'm glad I was able to make it. Unfortunately, several others expressed interest but didn't make it for various reasons. There's a big show in Old Colorado City in August that maybe we could shoot for to give everyone more notice.

Thanks, Rich, for organizing this. I enjoyed and I'm sure anyone else that would have come would have, too.

Tom

RICH MUISE

Sorry for the late reply....
That was a great weekend for me...always is when I go to Colorado. I met Al, and Marty and son, at the Riverwalk show...great show, beatiful location, perfect weather. I did have a lady complain to me a little that it was too windy. Frankly I hadn't even noticed. I just told her I was from Texas, and "this" was not windy.
Later, As Tom posted, we met at Al's house. I got to meet Al's wife, Sue, this time. She is a lovely lady, and both her and Al were very hospitable as usual. Thanks Al!!
I was glad to see Tom drove down from Fort Collins. As it turns out, Tom has been into street rods from a very early age, and combining that with 30 years as a Ford Parts man, made for an obviously knowledgeable fella. I think even Marty was surprised when they started talking mutual interest cars. Nothing better than a bunch of guys standing around talking cars!
Thanks Al, Tom and Marty for another great day!
Almost forgot....sometime between the time I pulled into Marties driveway, and the time I pulled out, my Grand Cherokee's power steering pump decided it had worked enough. Man I had sore arms by the time I drove home to Texas! Actually wasn't too bad, this was not the first time the Jeeps pump went out, so I knew it would be ok at highway speeds, just a little tough at low speed.

57dohc

Guys,
Wanted to thank Rich and Tom for coming here to come here to talk 57 fords and anything else close.  It really was a lot of fun.  I wish I would have more progress to show on my build but maybe now I will get more motivated.
One of the problems we have with the 57 ford hobby is that our numbers are few and it limits the ability to actually get together to help or share ideas.  It does make this site all that more valuable but I will always look for opportunities to actually see members face to face! Al