News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Auto City radiator hood clearance

Started by jdlafayette, 2014-04-13 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlafayette

I hope I can move it down enough. I spent a lot of time finding the right lower hose so I hope that will still fit. I don't know about the hammer trick! Sounds extreme.   Thanks, John

wildhog

Mine was a just  a little to high. I put a glob of shaving cream on it and there was a small bit that had touched the hood. I just redrilled the Radiator and lowered it.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

jdlafayette

That's what I am planning, but it looks like I will have to go about 1 1/2" lower. I am heading to Carlisle  so I won't work on it for awhile. I think Auto City will be at Carlisle so I will mention it to them. I love the radiator and would recommend it with some obvious modifications. I am going to start using wingnuts on my car so I can take it apart and put it together faster!!!!!!

Take care, John

jdlafayette

I drilled 4 new holes 1 1/2 inches up on the radiator mounting brackets. I then had to notch the bottom corners of the radiator support. I didn't want to because it is mint and powder coated. I then had to shim the bottom mounting out with 2 thick and one thin flat washer to allow clearance for bottom tank. The top bolts aren't shimmed. The radiator hoses went back on OK. I now have good clearance with my hood and I bought a regular radiator cap instead of the lever vent one I had.
I just got back from Carlisle and spoke with Auto City. They told me there are two radiators for my car. A tall and short. First I ever heard. Why would you have a tall one that doesn't fit? I didn't get very far with them.
I couldn't believe how much repro Chevy stuff at Carlisle. Got sick of looking at it!

Thanks, John

RICH MUISE

A tall and a short? wth? I know there are two radiators..a 6 and an 8, but tall and short?. I have a guess the guy at Carlisle didn't know what he was talking about. When I've talked direct to Auto City Classic, I've had a feeling they don't have a whole lot of connection between the swap meet vendors and the home base.
Anyway..glad you got yours to fit...I'm along ways from seeing if mine will.
Carlisle?? that's a long way from your stomping grounds!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jdlafayette

I wasn't thrilled with his response but the radiator is nice and priced right plus the modification wasn't too bad.
Carlisle Pa. is about 5 1/2 hours away. It's an easy trip that is all good highway. We go 87,287,78 and 81 through NY,NJ and then Pa. I doubt I am going back though. I have most parts for my 3 cars I need plus as I said it is primarily Chevy. If you want Chinese Nova, Camaro and Chevelle parts you are all set. I have bought lot's of stuff for '57s but they are slim pickens. There are a lot of Tri five Chevy stuff too. I love those cars though! Don't be too hard on me for that!!!  What's funny is when you ask for 57 Ford stuff guys say they are popular and the stuff goes quick. So it's stiff competition for parts.

Take Care, John

RICH MUISE

So, how much clearance to the radiator cap did you end up with?...got any silly putty to check it with?

jdlafayette

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I missed the question. I have about 1/2" clearance now. I didn't use any putty. The hood isn't bolted on and we just set it down and eyeballed it after I lowered the radiator. I did some careful measuring before and lowered it as much as possible without causing problems with the radiator support. I calibrated my eyeball too!!

Thanks John

RICH MUISE

thanks for the info...I'm thinking if you have a half inch, mine may just clear the hood where I moved it forward 1 1/4 inches. Another question...just to give me a better idea how much your's is lowered compared to mine...the lower tank on mine is actually touching the core support bolt head. I realize yours isn't forward enough to do that, but is your down that low?

JPotter57

Anyone have vertical measurements on a stock radiator?  I will get mine out of the box and check it out.  I've only had it out to make sure the brackets and inlet/outlet were in the right places.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

jdlafayette

Hello Guys, Went to the garage. The measurement from the bottom of bottom tank to lower edge of radiator support is 1 1/4 ". I think the issue with the radiator is the top tank and top gooseneck is taller than stock. The core, bottom tank and mounting area are ok. I think it is worth the modifications. Lowering the radiator makes up for this. Hope this helps.
take care, John