News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Continuing the off topic but relevant.

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2014-07-11 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

The 65 Bird is finished.....wife's happy....I'm happy....car drives out very nice.  Onward and upward.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Good looking bird, your hard work has paid off

RICH MUISE

That should be putting a big smile on your wife's face! Excellent job Bill, and in a relatively short period of time also..you just moved right along on that project. Very nicely done. Got an interior pic?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-07-12 08:19
Got an interior pic?

I will put a couple of them up as soon as my camera gets charged up......as you may notice I do not do well with documenting progress, get going on a project and the camera is on the desk with a dead battery....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

That looks great Bill.  What is next,  Skyliner, Ranchero or Edsel?
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

John Palmer

A common problem on 65 Fords was a loose "battery terminal" connection where the engine harness connected to the dash harness at the firewall.  They did not use the word "recall" back in the day, they called them TSB's (technical service bulletins), LOL.  Basically any car that had factory air conditioning would cause the terminal to overheat due to the loose connection and the high amp draw.  The result was a fried wiring harness under the dash and in the engine compartment.  The fix for a car that had not yet burnt, was to install a small 1/4" brass ring around the female connection.

Looking at your fine restored Bird, reminded me of a owner that made the mistake of coming into the service department while I had the entire interior of her T-Bird apart, while installing a new wiring harness after an electrical fire in her still "relatively new" car.  She simply took one look, and walked up to the sales department, and said she was ready to trade her car in for a new one!  I guess she had no confidence that the car would ever go back together, LOL.

Ford Blue blood

Interior shots, want to replace the seat covers as the stock covers are stained, scrubbed with 409 and wiped down with lacquer thinner.  Very serviceable but just not up to reasonable standard.

Edsel is next, need to paint while the weather is warm.  Will start the Ranchero work after the Edsel is completed.  It only needs doors off, fenders off, hood off, all painted (only body work is the drivers fender, just a light tap), stainless polished and reassembly.  The engine bay will be detailed while all the sheet metal is off.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

John Palmer

Nice T-Bird. 

It looks like a color on a 1966 Mustang GT convertible I had, that was called Ember Glow.  It had a Parchment interior.

Ford Blue blood

Have the front sheet metal off the Edsel.  Wire brushed and painter 100 bolts and 80 nuts that hold this thing together (that's just the front clip!)!  Have spent several days cleaning and detailing the "stuff" that will go back on after paint.  The P. O. had "fixed" the over spray problem in the engine bay by spraying everything with a heavy black "something" that melts with lacquer thinner.  Wires, sheet metal and parts of the fire wall.  Have used two gallons of thinner so far, another two days and another two gallons of thinner and the paint prep/painting can begin.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

petew

FBB it will be well worth it in the end. Hosing down the engine compartment with a case of barbecue black paint does not a restoration make. All the detail is going to look great.

Zapato

Quote from: petew on 2014-08-07 09:57
Hosing down the engine compartment with a case of barbecue black paint does not a restoration make.

Nope, that's a rebuild.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72