News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trim post repair

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2014-08-13 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

One of the grill chrome pieces on the Edsel had three of the four post broken off some time in the past.  The "repair" was to glue the trim to the grill housing.  Thought about it for a while and came up with a fix.  Should work good in many applications so I thought I would post here.

I took a 1/4 X 20 bolt 1 1/2 inches long, cut the head off, chucked it in a drill and used a flapper to trim it down to just having threads showing.  Changed to a cut off wheel and made a groove in it then cut it off the remainder.

On the trim piece I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole, tape on the drill bit is a depth gauge, enlarged the hole with a 8/32 bit, used the cut off wheel and put an upside down "V" notch in the boss.

Mixed up good epoxy and filled the hole, filled the groove in the new stud and set it in place.

I did one yesterday to see if it would work and it is a tight as can be.  I expect it will be there long after I'm gone.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Nifty repair...thanks for posting, Bill...LOL thanks for the pics especially, I never would have figured out what you were doing from the text.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe