News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

a/c brackets

Started by Ron, 2014-09-12 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Does anyone know of an after-market source for the bracket (s) I'll need to mount an a/c condenser on the 292 ci Y block in my '57 Ranch Wagon?  I'm hoping to be able to mount it low rather than high on the block and I'm just beginning to research the whole project.  Thanks, Ron.

bossguy

You might try Tim McMaster, he's on Facebook as "The Y Block Guy".

Ron

Bossguy--Thanks.  I don't do Facebook, but I have a friend who does.  I'll ask her to check it out for me.  Ron

gasman826

Unless someone has gotten really busy in the last couple of years, you are on your own to fabricate brackets and pulleys.  I've been watching for a two or three groove crank pulley, PS brackets and AC brackets.  PS brackets come along from time to time but AC brackets are few and far between.  The AC bracket would be pricey and then require modification to fit a modern pump.  Even when I put Vintage Air in mine, sourcing brackets for the 460 was disappointing.  The choice is factory, fabricate or serpentine aftermarket pulleys and brackets.  The factory 460 brackets were for York/Tecumseh pumps or Frigidaire.  Vintage Air makes an adopter for Sanden pumps to YT brackets.  But this puts the pump high on the engine.  Vintage Air also offers universal brackets for Sanden pumps but you fab it to your engine.  I'm considering Vintage Air for the Ranch Wagon and I am prepared to make brackets for the 292 to the Sanden pump.  I'll probably mill off the front of the 292 crank pulley and add some pulleys.  If you find brackets and pulleys, I'm all ears!

VwDrvFnd

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Ford Blue blood

There are three groove pulleys for the Y=block.  Factory air cars had them, they pop up on ebay from time to time and are a little pricey.  The factory air bracket mounted the generator (two groove pulley) and the compressor (also two groove) right above it on the passenger side.  Never seen one of these pop up on ebay.

Only pics I have of the factory air install.  Not real good but it will give you an idea of where they hung the stuff.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ron

Thanks everyone for all this valuable information!  Ron...

Frankenstein57

I went with vintage air brackets,  sanden compressor, it is set up for a GM one wire alternator. I would like to look into an extra belt-the one grove pulley doesn't cut it.    Mark

gasman826

x2 on the two belt pulley setup.  I couldn't find a Sanden pump with a single V pulley.  I didn't like the empty pulley.  I'm glad I didn't find a single V pulley pump.  I ran the AC with a single belt and it was not enough.  Every time the pump clutch locked, the belt chirped a bit.  This time around, I cut new water pump and crank pulleys with an extra V to run two belts on the AC pump.

bossguy

Tim McMaster replied to me, "I think John Mummert sells them"

Frankenstein57

Not to steal the thread, but man Gary ,that thing is lookin badassssssss

SkylinerRon

Years ago there was a hang-on A/C kit sold by Sears, Wards etc.
It mounted a York compressor horizonally on the pass side, on top.
You might find the parts in a southwestern US junkyard like Desert Valley,
on any Y-Block Ford or Merc 56-62.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ford Blue blood

Found a very nice picture of the factory A/C install...
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II