News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlights

Started by hiball3985, 2014-10-11 07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Driving home the other night I realized as the daylight hours are getting shorter the old style headlights aren't the best and my eyes aren't what they use to be. Has anyone tried the Halogen conversions? I was looking at the ones from Mid Fifties for the trucks but I think that is the same bulb as our 57's, I didn't like the flat design of the lens. Anyone know of another replacement?

http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=1259
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

OUTLAW

LMC truck has 7 inch halogen sealed beam headlamps. Has "FOMOCO" in the glass. Part # 47-0196..... 

Zapato

Exactly the same size bulbs I have a  set in my 51 that has been on several cars. They are Hella brand and yes they're flat faced if you get past that they're definitely worth the difference with all the dark and rainy nights we get up here in the PNW. That price is great remember paying close to twice that in '83 when we bought them for a 24 hour enduro.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Thanks guys, I will check out the LMC ones also.. :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

If you convert to the Hella halogens you should also modify your headlight circuit to put the load on a couple of relays instead of the original headlight switch.

I think painless wiring sells the kit , I got mine from summit. Not only will it keep you from burning the car down but since the lights will get a full 12 volts + they will be noticeably brighter.

hiball3985

Quote from: petew on 2014-10-11 08:39
If you convert to the Hella halogens you should also modify your headlight circuit to put the load on a couple of relays instead of the original headlight switch.

I think painless wiring sells the kit , I got mine from summit. Not only will it keep you from burning the car down but since the lights will get a full 12 volts + they will be noticeably brighter.
Thanks, I was looking at the ones at LMC and saw they have the relay set up also.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

highball, are the ones from LMC bulbs replaceable? couldn't tell from the description. I like them that way a bulb change doesn't require re-aiming specially if lights are mounted from the rear.

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-10-11 09:04
highball, are the ones from LMC bulbs replaceable? couldn't tell from the description. I like them that way a bulb change doesn't require re-aiming specially if lights are mounted from the rear.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=64
It doesn't state but I'm assuming they aren't. But for the minimal amount of time I drive at night they will probably out live me  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

The HIDs that were in my MK VIII were a day to night difference from H-4s as H-4s were from the old sealed beams.  There are several kits available on ebay to do a complete conversion.  Worth the money IMHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II