News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Replacement radios

Started by Limey57, 2014-10-13 09:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My Ranchero is missing the original valve radio but came with a new Concours replacement.  This is a very 1970's looking replacement radio/cassette player that is compatible with MP3 players.  As I'm now rebuilding the dashboard it's time to think about radios so I dug it out to see how it fits.  You can see from the photograph that it obviously isn't a bolt-in swap, necessitating some changes to the dashboard chrome trim.  I found out a new piece of chrome trim that just fits round the clock (can be seen sitting to the bottom of the photo) but what do I do with the trim to the left of the radio?  Is there a replacement piece I can get hold of to save cutting the original?

I really don't want to cut the original, but if I did I notice that the fins in the moulding for the replacement radio and the clock surround run top to bottom, where as the fins in the original moulding run left to right and I think it would look odd.

Soooo, is there a piece of trim for the left that I should be looking for so I don't have to cut the original, OR is there another replacement radio on the market that can fit straight into the standard trim without requiring any cutting?

Thanks

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

I'd just like to point out that my garage doesn't have carpet, I'm doing the dashboard rebuild in the spare room in the house!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

JimNolan

Limey,
   You're not going to like what I have to say but here goes. You've got a one piece instrument bezel that envelopes the heater control, radio and clock. Those are rare. Most cars have the three piece set. The radio you're getting ready to put into the car and cut up that beautiful dash is a piece of crap probably. You can get a radio that suppose to go in there cheaply since most of them don't work anyway. Then, you send it out and have the solid state circuitry of a AM/FM radio installed. You will have about $600 invested not counting shipping. But, you'll be happy and you won't have to explain to people why you destroyed your dash. I'd carry around a portable radio and set it in the seat before I'd destroy the dash. Sorry
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Limey57

Jim, thanks, I like to hear the truth no matter how painful!  Yes, the radio looks like it fell out of a 1970's Toyota and really has NO place in a 57 Ford, I didn't realise the one piece moulding wasn't common so it won't be going anywhere near a hacksaw.  My brother has suggested installing some speakers under the seat and using the music stored on my phone to save butchering the dashboard, so I think that's the route I'll take.  Seeing as I haven't got the original radio I'll make up a dummy display and control knobs out of some old radio bits so at least I haven't got any unfilled holes in the dashboard.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

JPotter57

There is a cool piece available at Crutchfield and some sound shops that mounts under the seat or dash, and really, is only an amplifier for your smart phone.  It has line outs to an amp and speakers, and you can use any android or iDevice with it.  Cost starts around $100 and up; that is what i plan to use on mine, since I have delete plates on my dash.  I don't listen to regular local radio anyway, but if I want to, there is always Iheartradio app on my phone, that I can use to access most of the local radio stations I would want to listen to.  Here is an example on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Secret-Stealth-iPod-MP3-Classic-Car-Stereo-4-Speaker-Channel-Audio-System-/361064103940
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wildhog

Limey57 It is very easy to find the trim for the heater control(over here) .then you could put it togeather with your new radio untill you decide what to do. I sent the clock face and heater face plate to a member in Georiga, that ran into the same problem. I have the same one piece trim plate, but for the Town and Country radio. I paid $600.00 to have my Town & Country Radio upgraded, But it only worked a few weeks and is back at the radio Doctor.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

I've got a town and country radio that's been going more than 10 years that was converted. The knob turns when seeking just like the original one. I've also got another original Town and Country that was working 10 years ago when I boxed it up. It's got the faceplate and knobs with it. I hung onto it just in case something happened to the one I had converted.
Limey, I'd think you'd be able to find a 57 Radio pretty cheap and get it converted for less than $400. The Town and Country Radio's are the one's that's expensive to get changed over.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Limey
  Not cutting up your nice dash is a good decision.  The guys are steering you straight.

Limey57

Theres a swap meet in a couple of weeks so I'm going to see what I can find, the dashboard is going to stay the way Ford intended it to, it will NOT be seeing a hacksaw!
Gary

1957 Ranchero