News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

exhaust advise needed

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-12-08 20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

To avoid some expensive custom exhaust work, I am trying to fit some Cobra off road downpipes and H-pipe into the '57. I want the exhaust to be over the tranny crossmember, as they'll be too low if I go under. The problem I see at this point is whether or not I'll be able to use the H-pipe, as it may interfere with the oem emergency brake cable.
So my question is..is the h-pipe worth the trouble of any other modifications I may get into to utilize it? Does my 4.6 'need' the crosspipe more than the old school motors? Are you guys running h or x pipes, or just running each side totally seperate. Opinions appreciated.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich you should have room to run an aftermarket X pipe that has the tubes running down the drive shaft tunnel.  Look at the Flowmaster "kits", with your fabrication skills that kit will have everything you'll need to get it all the way to the back.  Put the mufflers under the kick up for the rear seat.

Most of the guys that modify the later Mustangs and such use the X pipe.  Expect they do for low end help and exhaust note.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

junior58

I am in the process of designing my exhaust replacement, also will be running it over the trans crossmember and then down the trans tunnel instead of round the outside of the floor wells, mainly so that I can incorporate a balance pipe to smooth out the exhaust note and give a little low end oomph. I always try and incorporate a balance pipe of some sort, whether it be H or X.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Junior, in case you didn't see it, I did a follow up to this in the "4.6 dohc being installed now" thread. Let us know how yours turns out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

junior58

Just checked it out Rich, very nice. I'm not doing anything with mine till after Christmas, just going to enjoy a bit of touring in her over the holiday break.
Steve McKnight

junior58

Update, got my exhaust done at last. Ran 2.25 pipe over the trans crossmember and down through the driveshaft tunnel area, used flattish oval mufflers in the rear seat recess (Walker mufflers off our Australian sourced 2001 Falcon XR8 hipo V8 sedan) and tailpipes over the diff and out the back in the original position with turn down tips. Due to the pipes running by the driveshaft, the balance pipe is quite short and I managed to fit it above the handbrake lever. I absolutely love the sound now, it has got rid of the uneven cackle that it had before as well as the tommy gun popping sound on over run. Even my chevy loving mate says it sound awesome, so that's a win as far as I'm concerned.
Steve McKnight

SkylinerRon

H Pipe = more power, less rasp.

Ron.