News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hub Caps question

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-12-01 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

I know this should be in the wheel and tire section but it doesn't seem to many members read that section.  I have the little dog dish Ford hub caps and I also bought a set of Moon snap in disks.  The moons will not fit at all (Yes they are the right size 15") and the Ford hub caps are extremely hard to remove and put back on, I have to use a pry bar and a big rubber mallet to R&R the hub caps.  Has anyone had this problem before?  I'm thinking on buying new steel rims or just go to AR Torque thrusts.

RICH MUISE

If your Ranchero has 15" wheels, somebody has previously changed them as oem 57's were 14's.
That may explain why the oem dog dishes are so tight.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Raven Rider

Rich my Ranchero is a Ranch Wagon now someone must have changed the body when they changed the rims.  :003: I'm sure it is the same so thanks for the information Rich.  I wonder what rims these are?  I will try to measure them when they come back off next week end.  I'm putting on a new set of rear springs, what a PITA the left side was now on to the right side this week end.  Hmm I wonder how old the dirt is that packs the inside of the frame?

RICH MUISE

I knew that...I don't know why I typed Ranchero. Now that you know you have bigger wheels, you may want to grab a gps and check your speedometer.
Does your wagon have disc brakes?...one reason for changing to 15" wheels.
Did you get your new springs from McVeigh's?..., and how many leafs?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Hoosier Hurricane

When I raced my '57 Bird in the Pure Stock Drags, I had to remove my custom wheels and run steelies.  Their rules say factory wheels and caps.  They didn't notice I had 15 instead of 14.  I used the wheels and tires off my '56 Bird, original 15s.  The '57 dog dishes fit just fine on the '56 wheels.   John

Raven Rider

Rich I do have disc in the front and I did get my springs from McVeigh's with the proper 6 leafs and they are a pleasure to deal with.  Well I think I will give up on the MOON hub caps and just get a set of AR Torque Thrusts. 

hiball3985

If you change wheels stay with 15's, 14 tires are getting hard to find. I wanted to switch to 15's but just couldn't part with my classic Cragers and they work fine with Granada discs..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have stock 57 dog dish caps on 15" Vintique wheels. The wheels are powder coated and the caps are pretty tight. At least they won't fall off!!! I also have a set of new repro '56 dog dish caps around if anybody is interested. Posted a pic mostly because you can see the clearance between the tire and fender lip which was rolled in  on the car when I got it.
Lynn

Raven Rider

lalessi1 I have those exact hub caps that is in your picture but not nearly as nice.  I would chip the powder coat off to get my hub caps off.  How wide are your wheels and what size of tires are you running

While changing out the leaf springs I rolled my fender lip a little more because the 235 tire was hard to remove.  I'm planning on rolling the lip more if I need to when I get my new wheels.

lalessi1

i am using 15 X 7 Vintiques with 4.25" backspacing. I bought the caps on ebay, not cheap but they had been in storage for 40 years. They are pristine. I am using 225/60 tires. I actually responded in greater detail to a "Tire Sizes/Wheel Back Spacing"
post on 11/16/14 in the "General Discussion" section. I posted the pic as an addition to that thread. This forum stuff is new to me!!! I have an original 14X5 spare wheel with a 7.50X14 tire so I can compare the centers if you would like but I just assumed the Vintiques were the same.
Lynn

rmk57

The centers are the same for 15 and 14 inch steel rims. Both will take the 10 1/8" poverty cap.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429