News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 Bbbl. Carburetor for 292

Started by Fairlane500, 2014-03-26 00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

The 57/312 Holley is 410 cfm.  A 600 cfm will work but, throttle response will be a bit soggy on a 292.
A carb with annular boosters is best on the street.
Goodluck,
Ron.

lowrider

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-03-26 18:32
I had a 4100 on my 292, it had a dead spot on the bottom. Like accelerating off of a turn, we rebuilt it and still had the problem. I got a newer looking holley 600 for nothing, and a $30 rebuild kit = problem solved. We did change the jets and squirters to fit the car better. I figured if it didn't work on the 292, I'd use it on the 351,  Mark

I recall something my dad mentioned to me years ago about 2100 & 4100 carbs. When they first came out they used a check ball in the passage behind the accelerator pump diaphragm. You can tell if your carb has one by the big screwhead just behind the pump diaphragm housing. You remove that screw & the check ball comes out. Problem was that check ball would get a flat spot on it and the pump circuit wouldn't work right. Later model carbs use the red neoprene check valve that just pushes into the carb body. Pump circuit was just about trouble free after the change.

junior58

The carter 4 barrel on my 312 is well worn so I'm thinking of going to a Holley as they are much simpler to understand and work on but I'm not sure if I should go to a 600 or a 465. Purely on cost basis I am leaning toward the 600 as it's about $120 cheaper (in New Zealand). Would the 600 work ok on the 312?
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

hiball3985

Choosing the right carb is all relevant to many things, cubic inch, cam, rpm etc. and what you plan on doing with the car.  When I did the carb calculations for my street/highway none racing  292, mild cam and figuring a max of 4500 rpm it only requires about 300 cfm. I'm using a Holley 390. A 600 is probably more carb then you will ever need..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

I'm a Holley guy but, the Carter on the 312 works well on a car that doesn't get driven daily because there
are no bowl gaskets to dry out.
BTW- You will need to make up new steel lines as the 3 carbs use all different fuel, vacuum and choke lines.
Goodluck,
Ron.

hiball3985

Ron, are you referring to the old cork type bowl gaskets? Those haven't been used on Holleys for quite some time. I don't know what the new material is but its even reusable, I've changed jets twice using the same bowl gaskets..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BP57CUSTOM

I recommend the Autolite 4100 , that's what I have on my 57 and am totally pleased with it. I also have a 4100 on my 65 Mustang , I removed it and put in a kit last week , the first time the carb has been touched in 26 years that I have owned it.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

Raven Rider

For what it is worth I have a 302 ci and I'm running a Holley 390 cfm and it has more than enough flow for a 302.  It's funny how back in the 60's and 70's everyone wanted a 600 or 700 double pumper carb not knowing a much smaller carb would work better.

SkylinerRon

Jim,
The new material is much better but, in cars that are not driven much the drying/filling
cycle w/alcohal based fuels still is a problem.

The 57 312 Holley is 410 cfm so a 390 should work great.
Annular boosters are a big+ too on a small engine. Autolite 4100's all have them. Ford had the patent
on them so Holley got a late start.
4100's are very durable and economical street carbs.

Ron.

hiball3985

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-02-12 00:43
Jim,
The new material is much better but, in cars that are not driven much the drying/filling
cycle w/alcohal based fuels still is a problem.
Ron.
Thanks Ron I didn't know that. I assumed the new material was made for todays fuels. My car probably has never sat for more then 3-5 days so I hadn't experienced a problem.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

junior58

I'm thinking of going to the 4100 but not that easy to get over here, will just have to keep looking.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter