News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y block Question

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-02-06 06:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

On the back of our Y Blocks there are brackets with rubber insulators that the spark plug wires go through before they go to their respective spark plugs.  I read somewhere that on each side of the engine there are two wires that have to be located in those brackets opposite/away from each other and not next to each other.  Now I can't find that information in any of my manuals.  Have any of you Y block guys ever read something like this?    I do remember that when I installed my ignition wires I did them that way.   
    Thanks...Just call me Cabin Fever Jay

hiball3985

It's usually on cylinders that fire adjacent and consecutive to each other, a Y would be #1 & #2, an FE would be #7 & #8 the best I can remember.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
   That sounds right and takes care of the right side.  The notice  I read had something for the left side also.  Jay

hiball3985

Jay,
I've never read anything about it so I probably have mine wrong.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-02-06 07:53
It's usually on cylinders that fire adjacent and consecutive to each other, a Y would be #1 & #2,

That's what I thought too, Jay. be interesting if that is correct.

Ecode70D

This site has the very best Y block talent in the world bar none.  If we don't get the answer to both sides , then it is probably not worth knowing.  I just know that I'm not imagining it though.

hiball3985

Trying to figure this out in my scrambled brain, maybe it would be #6 and & #8, because they fire #8 and then #6?

The new Ford engine that has the flat plane crank never fires two cylinder on the same side consecutively from what little I understand about it. I think that was the engine in the car that just won the 24 hour of Daytona race a couple of weeks ago.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

yes but the   I - I - X    15 48 6372 firing order is what gives our Ys and also the Flatheads their distinctive exhaust note.
Jim, you might very well be right with 6 and 8 too, they probably must be kept apart also.

hiball3985

This is all Jays fault with his cabin fever. He needs to stop think about car problems and go read a good book :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jumping jack flash

Long ago I heard of this, but it concerned the 351 windsor . I never separated the y block wires for the reason of misfire. I just did't have a problem with it on the y blocks.Maybe my next y block build will be the one....I doubt it.

SkylinerRon

7&8 on FE's. The separaters on Y-Blocks are very good, not a problem w/new ones.

Ron.

canadian_ranchero

i think there was a ford bulletin on spark plug wire placement 

Ecode70D

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2015-02-12 22:56
i think there was a ford bulletin on spark plug wire placement

I'm still searching my papers and files for where I actually read it because I want to send it to djfordman in Austria so he can have it when he puts his Y block together.