News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door glass

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2015-02-13 11:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

Does anybody know what go's in between the door glass and the chrome channel? It go's between the glass and channel. The original stuff looks like a hard plastic channel that slips over the door glass and into the channel. I would like to know what it is called and where I can get some.  Thanks,

pepfalcon

glass mounting tape. i got mine at a glass company, or you can get it online.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: pepfalcon on 2015-02-13 14:23
glass mounting tape. i got mine at a glass company, or you can get it online.
[/
quote]

So it's called glass mounting tape. Thanks for that imfo, I will check with a glass co.

RICH MUISE

Your question kinda threw me because of the "chrome" channel you mentioned. The channel that Phillip mentioned that uses the glass tape is the channel inside the door at the bottom of the window, (it's the window lift channel), but it is not chrome.
From there, if that's not what you were asking about, I think we'd need to know what model '57 you're working on. I suspect the channel you were refering to may be the divider between the vent window and the door window, and has a rigid metal/rubber/"fuzzies" glass channel on the door window side. The divider is ss or chrome depending on model.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Rich,
Sounds like the chrome around the glass on a hardtop, convert or retract.
Any autoglass shop will have it.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

You both are probably correct....I've only worked on the sedan, so my thinking was going in that direction.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-02-16 08:42
You both are probably correct....I've only worked on the sedan, so my thinking was going in that direction.

I have a retractable. Im talking about the top and back side of the glass where it slides into the channel. Safelite said they don't make that glass mounting tape any more and I was told by a restoration shop that I could use the sealer that is used around the windshield.

lalessi1

If you prefer the glass tape you can get it from Dennis Carpenter and I am sure other places carry it as well.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/search.aspx?ss=glass+tape&d=2&tab=cars
Lynn

pepfalcon

i can't imagine using messy windshield sealer instead of mounting tape. you can google auto glass mounting tape and choose from many, many kinds and prices of the stuff.

mtwilsonboy

I googled mounting tape and a lot of of tapes come up. They don't say they are for auto glass. Which one would I buy to use on my door glass?

Ford Blue blood

Go to a glass place, most that deal with cutting and supplying have the tape.  If you take your old in and ask for new they will even mount it for you.  Putting the glass back in the channel is not as easy as it might look.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Ditto what Bill said. I had bought the glass tape to install the glass into my riser channel at the bottom. It was so darn tight I was afraid I was going to break the glass trying to assemble it with a rubber mallet. I finally just used the sealant. let it sit overnight, trim off excess with a razor blade. Did the same thing with my vent window glass....only there that is the only option. With the vent window glass, I used very small little spacers pushed in the sealant while it was wet to keep the glass centered in the channel while the sealant was setting up. yep, it's messy, but just make sure you got enough in the channel so you don't have voids and let it get messy. It cleans up really easy with a razor blade/exacto knife after it's set up.

pepfalcon

i used mounting tape. bought cabinet clamps at lowes that had squeeze lever on them. pulled the glass into the channel easily.

mtwilsonboy

It helps to hear peoples different experiences. I will just have to see what works best for me. This site is very helpful.