News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero Drive Shaft Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-07-08 12:13

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

When I bought my Ranchero, It came without a drive shaft.  Rancheros, Wagons and Sedan Deliveries all being the same in terms of the frame, then the drive shaft is the same as well, based on the transmission of course. My research tells me that the 3  Edsel Wagons Models, were all based on the Ford Wagon Frame, thus can I assume ( dangerous word I know ) that a drive shaft from a '59 Automatic Edsel Wagon, will work in my '57 Ranchero?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

My Ranchero had a tapered drive shaft and Mechanics type U joint that attaches with bolts. I don't know if a 59 Edsel has the same type, something to check besides length.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

RICH MUISE

Hey John...As far as I know, any short wheelbased model should work..which means all the Customs as well. If I had known, I could have brought you one in Fort Worth.
I don't know if the manual trans' driveshaft is the same as an Automatic's. Mine is a manual.
Lost track of your plans...have you decided on a drivetrain yet?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Rancheros, Wgns, SD's & Customs used a 54 35/64" long (center to center u-joint distance) shaft.
6 cyl thru 292 used smaller u-joints than 312 equipped cars.
312's use a Spicer 1260 u-joint.
T-85/R11 cars used a shorter shaft.

Ron.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-07-08 21:37
Hey John...As far as I know, any short wheelbased model should work..which means all the Customs as well. If I had known, I could have brought you one in Fort Worth.
I don't know if the manual trans' driveshaft is the same as an Automatic's. Mine is a manual.
Lost track of your plans...have you decided on a drivetrain yet?
Thanks for the reply Rich. As to the drive train.......have not finalized, but close.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-07-09 01:06
Rancheros, Wgns, SD's & Customs used a 54 35/64" long (center to center u-joint distance) shaft.
6 cyl thru 292 used smaller u-joints than 312 equipped cars.
312's use a Spicer 1260 u-joint.
T-85/R11 cars used a shorter shaft.

Ron.
Ron, I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
John

SkylinerRon

Your welcome!
Glad to help.

Ron.