News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent window seal

Started by Mavaholic, 2015-08-06 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

Looking through the archives I have not found what I'm looking for. I'm rebuilding the vent window and the problem is the seal that seals the back edge of the vent window. There 4 rivets in each seal and the holes in the frame for the rivets are 7/64". They do not come with the seals. Just wondering what others have used or if someone knows a source for these. Thanks

RICH MUISE

I can't remember if the rivets came with my vent seal, or if they came with the glass channel. Either way, I got them with something. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they came with the vent seal. The main glass channel and the vent seal get assembled at the same time. I had a long post on doing that years ago when I first joined the forum...
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=1405.msg7647#msg7647
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mavaholic

Yea I read that post a couple of times. The main channel came with enough rivets (7) to attach the bottom bracket and window frame. They are larger ( 9/64") than the seal rivits. But the actual seal, from Dennis Carpenter, did not come with any. Was hoping someone had a solution.

Ray

Take the vent window frames, the vent windows, the glass runs, literally all of the assembly and sent it to Restoration Specialties in Windber PA. Jeff will send them back completed for very little cost.

FYI

Restoration Specialties
148 Minnow Creek Lane
Windber, PA 15963

Phone:   (814) 467-5323
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Mavaholic

As tempting as that is, I really like doing as much myself as possible. Plus I've already bought all the seals. So this morning reverting back to that age old "KISS" principal, I used 1/8" pop rivets and removed the stem. I bored all the holes out to 1/8", inserted the rivets, and with the aid of a large diameter center punch followed by a flat punch, installed the seal. A little black paint on the ends of the rivets and it looks just like original. One more question for Richard, did you glue the seal that goes around the vent glass into the frame? Looks like it needs something to help keep it in place.  Thanks guys.

Mavaholic

Just finished up one side. I also thought the hole for the vent window upper pivot was way off and overall the seal was too long. But I found with some soapy water and lots of pressure the seal actually snaps into place in the frame and everything lines up perfectly. A very snug fit and doesn't require any glue.  Hope this helps someone else.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Mavaholic on 2015-08-07 10:00
Just finished up one side. I also thought the hole for the vent window upper pivot was way off and overall the seal was too long. But I found with some soapy water and lots of pressure the seal actually snaps into place in the frame and everything lines up perfectly. A very snug fit and doesn't require any glue.  Hope this helps someone else.
[/q
uote]
I just did my vent windows. It took me quite a while and I thought it was a real pain in the a$$.