News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Divider bar

Started by 57 imposter, 2015-09-16 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I'm having trouble finding rivets to reassemble the divider bar to the wind wing frame.. Does anyone have an idea where to look? What I would like to find is a pop rivet with a longer pin but everyone tells me they don't exist. we tried dropping a piece of 3/16 brake line over the pin to bring the clamping surface up to the top of the window channel but that doesn't leave enough pin for the tool jaws to grab..

RICH MUISE

Doug...Mine came with the back seal for the vent window. I'll check...I think I ended up with an extra set of seals...I'll look to see if there are rivets in the pkg.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ray

Send them to Jeff at Restoration Specialties. Don't have the contact info with me but he's the best and they'll be correct.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

I've got them, Doug...pm me your address and I'll get them in the mail. I'm leaving tommorrow noonish for a few days, so if I get the address by tommorrow morning, I'll drop them off at the post office on my way out. You owe me a milkshake at McDonald's....you know where.
I assume you already have the new seals or you wouldn't be reassembling!?

RICH MUISE

btw, did you see the long thread I did years ago, recently brought back up, on how I asembled the rivets? If not, on your drill press, a chunk of 1/4(?) bar stock clamped in a drill press vise sticking up far enough to clear the depth of the channel. I then used a transfer punch with a little of the point ground off in the drill press chuck, and used the drill press like an arbor press. (If you don't grind some of the point off, it will bottom out in the bottom of the rivet hole). Sit the assembly onto the bar stock with the rivet head sitting on the bar stock.
The transfer punch has a nice conical shape to it that'll roll over the rivet shank. Use an oddball size transfer punch so you're not sacraficing one likely to be used. My transfer punches are just a cheap Harbor Freight set, but they've come in handy often. My drill press is tiny so I wasn't able to get enough pressure applied for the final set, I just did that with a hammer and the same transfer punch.

RICH MUISE

Doug...I just saw the email you sent last week...sorry about that. I'll have them in the mail this morning.

RICH MUISE

Got them in the mail yesterday a.m. The lady said thursday.