Looking for answers for 2 questions---9 inch rear ends and rear window stainless

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-08-15 18:30

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I've located, in an old junk yard, several '58 and '59 Ford sedans, both 2 door and 4 door, that have their rear ends under them.
I need a 9 inch for my Ranchero, to replace the 8 inch some previous owner installed.
1) are all rear ends in '57,'58 and '59's, regardless of model, 9 inch rear ends with big bearings and are they all the same width?
2) what is the correct way to remove the stainless steel trim around the rear glass in a Ranchero, so as to not damage it. The corner pieces are of real interest.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I can answer some of that, John. All '57's and '58's are the same width. All are "9 inch", but neither of the cars you found will have the big bearings, at least oem. The bigger brake/bearings  came in Ranchero's and wagons. I think '59's are the same, but don't know for sure.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57chero

57-59 rear ends are the same, 57,s have a smooth pumpkin 58-59 have two dimples.  All three are 57 1/4" wide wheel mounting surface to mounting surface. As far as the ranchero rear glass you have to cut the rubber from the inside and push the glass out then remove the stainless trim.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57chero on 2015-08-15 22:32
57-59 rear ends are the same, 57,s have a smooth pumpkin 58-59 have two dimples.  All three are 57 1/4" wide wheel mounting surface to mounting surface. As far as the ranchero rear glass you have to cut the rubber from the inside and push the glass out then remove the stainless trim.
I always wondered about this. If all models are 57 1/4 from the wheel mounting surface what was different on the Rancheros/Wagons to compensate for the wider shoe/drums? Is the axle housing shorter, or different backing plates?

Also 57 pumpkins were a one year only design that had the large pinion seal and retainer.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-08-15 19:16
I can answer some of that, John. All '57's and '58's are the same width. All are "9 inch", but neither of the cars you found will have the big bearings, at least oem. The bigger brake/bearings  came in Ranchero's and wagons. I think '59's are the same, but don't know for sure.
Everyone referrers to them as 9" but they were actually smaller, true 9" wasn't used until the early 60's cars
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Where does the 57.25" rear end width information come from? Is it measured to the brake drum outer face or the  axle  flange face? I am trying to make all the numbers match.... rear track, wheel offset, and rear end width.... something isn't adding up.... driving me even crazier...
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Thanks, that makes things a lot closer, I will sleep better tonight!  :003:
Lynn

SkylinerRon

57-59 Wgns, Retracts, SD's and Rancheros used the big bearing/big brake rear housing.
All are the same width. Backing plates and drums are different.

Ron.