Almost all the pieces are in place now........light at end of tunnel feeling

Started by Zapato, 2015-08-19 14:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Bought a toploader 3 speed with shifter out of a 67 Mustang this weekend. Should bolt right up to the y-block bell. Am told main shaft is a bit long and will need 3/8'' cut off tip. Will measure twice before doing that.going to guess clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing are all y-block parts. Anyone know for sure?

Good friend (electrician) is going to help me get power out to the shop, and to wife's almost done pottery shed and then finally am going to be free to start on my 57.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

I've never done a 3-speed top loader swap.  Isn't the Borg Warner bolt pattern on the y-block bell housing different than the top-loader bolt pattern.  The 4-speeds have a different pattern.

Zapato

haven't put the two together yet, both have dual patterns if no match will drill bell to match.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ecode70D

I put a 67 Ford full synchromesh three speed toploader transmission behind my Y block and it's a bolt in.

1    The trans has two bolt patterns and one of them fits the Y block bellhousing.
   2    You have to use the  67 clutch
  3    The OD of the 67 transmission front seal retainer has to be machined smaller to fit the Y block bellhousing, or you can open the Y block bellhousing to fit the 67 front seal retainer.
   4    You need the slip yoke from the donor transmission
   5     Can't remember how much I cut off the input shaft pilot.  On mine I measured the total distance from the back of the attached bellhousing through pilot hole to the back of the crank.  Then measured the total length of the trans input shaft.   Don't forget to leave some play when making the cut. 
   7     You may or may not have to turn the transmission mount around 180 degrees.
   8     The two stock shifter levers hooked up perfectly for the column shift.

It's a walk in the park and a great transmission. I like shifting back into first before the car comes to a full stop at a traffic light.