News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

door glass fitment

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2015-08-23 14:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

I noticed the height of the door glass is 1/4 different. Does the shorter side go to the front or back side of the door. Im having a hard time getting my vent window to fit  into the windshield frame. It wants to be to far front by about a 1/4 inch and im wondering if I might have the window glass in the frame wrong and that is effecting the vent window fitting. I hope that makes sense. Im am very frustrated with this. Any help you guy's can give would be appreciated.

RICH MUISE

What model are you working on? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you meant by trying to fit the vent window into the windshield frame? I'm guessing it's not a sedan.
Are all the components oem to the car, or have you replaced vent window frames, etc?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

When I re-assembled my doors I fitted the vent glass and it's frame first, then the main door glass afterwards and it all kinda dropped into place (eventually, getting the rollers into their runners was a challenge........).
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Yup, exactly as mine, but the way he phrased the question leads me to believe he is talking about a hardtop or convert that doesn't have the door frame for the vent window frame to locate in.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-08-23 18:27
Yup, exactly as mine, but the way he phrased the question leads me to believe he is talking about a hardtop or convert that doesn't have the door frame for the vent window frame to locate in.
Yes it is a skyliner.The vent window frame wants to over lap the stainless that runs up the side of the window frame. The door window glass measures higher at one end then the other. It measures about 1/4 to 5/16 higher at one end than the other. I would like to know which end goes to the front.

RICH MUISE

I dunno...but I'm wondering, with the roof up, if a square held in the glass channel next to the vent window would tell you if where it seats in the roof is square or at an angle. I would imagine if anything it would be lower in the back, but just a guess.

SkylinerRon

Did you put a new glass in the stainless frame?
If you did I would think the taller edge of the glass would go to the rear as the body
line tapers down slightly at the rear of the door.

The other side window will be a mirror image, try measuring it.

Skyliner vent window frames are different than any other 57 btw.

Getting door glass adjusted will drive you nuts. Best to step back and take a break.

Goodluck,

Ron.

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-08-23 20:52
Did you put a new glass in the stainless frame?
If you did I would think the taller edge of the glass would go to the rear as the body
line tapers down slightly at the rear of the door.

The other side window will be a mirror image, try measuring it.

Skyliner vent window frames are different than any other 57 btw.

Getting door glass adjusted will drive you nuts. Best to step back and take a break.

Goodluck,

Ron.
It has been driving me nuts. Never did it before so this is new to me. I should have measured the old glass before I took it out of the frame but didn't realize it was a different height from one end to the other. I have hours of work into it and made zero progress.

Wirenut

Hey I feel your pain, I have a 500 hardtop and I have had to walk away a few times and still can't get a perfect seal. I had to readjust my doors and am very close. Keep at it you'll get it, I think the glass/seal fitment  has been the most chellenging of all I have done on the car so far. Good luck.