News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Electric Wiper Motor Information

Started by Mavaholic, 2015-08-29 08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mavaholic

Hopefully this information can help someone else sometime. The wagon I bought came with an electric 2 speed wiper motor but no switch. The motor has 3 wires, green, yellow , and white. Playing with combinations, I found by grounding the wiper motor mount, putting 12v to the yellow wire is low, white wire is high, and green wire is park.  I've been into Mavericks for over 42 years so I've collected  tons of parts. They also use a 2 speed motor. So I took a Maverick switch and found it will work quite nicely. Not only does it bolt directly in the dash like the original cable switch, no shaft extensions are needed and the original knob attaches on the shaft. The bonus is the switch also has a built in washer switch activated by pushing in the knob if you choose to add one. I've attached a wiring diagram. Mavericks were made from 1070 to 1977 and they used the same switch through the whole production run. They are easy to come by.

Mavaholic

The next problem I ran across was the motor was parking halfway up the windshield. I found the parking position is adjusted by moving the arm in the motor gearbox and setting it in one of the 4 holes on the drive gear. Should be self explanitory by looking at the attached pictures.

rmk57

I think those numbered holes are for the sweep angle in degrees. The wiper motor itself looks to be for a boat application. I've got the same style and it works great.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Great info...thanks for posting, but the "parking halfway up the windshield" confuses me. After I got my windshield on so I could finally check my wiprs, I just let the motor park itself, then attached the blades to the oem fine knuled pivot at the bottom of the windshield. Is there some reason you couldn't do that?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Mavaholic

You can't just move the wiper arms because the wiper drive oscillates back and forth. When parked, if I had moved the wipers from the center to the bottom of the windshield, the first time I turned it on it would have only lifted the wipers back to the center then would have tried to drive them down below the bottom of the windshield on the down stroke.

Mavaholic

QuoteI think those numbered holes are for the sweep angle in degrees. The wiper motor itself looks to be for a boat application. I've got the same style and it works great.

You are probably right about the angle since the holes are a different distance from center, but there is also a copper run on the bottom of that gear with a break in it which is where the circuit breaks for the park position. By moving to a different setting your also changing the park position.

Ford Blue blood

How does that motor mount into a 57?  Major mods or bolt in?  If it easy that would move us away from the New Port and the 55 - 57 Chevy systems with minimal work!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Mavaholic

The motor came with the car and was pre mounted on a bracket which bolted right up to the existing mount. I suspect it was one of the conversions offered in all the parts houses. I took it back apart because it turns out there is a bad spot in the nylon gear and it can stop working under load. So guess I'll be buying a new one anyway. But I found out the electrical plate on the bottom of the gear is removable and has a pin in it. The gear has holes around the perimeter and parking is adjusted by setting it in one of the holes.

rmk57

http://tmcin.com/modeltmc-00902-12vheavydutymarinewipermotorwith2shaft.aspx

You will have to fabricate a mounting bracket and also figure out a switch in the dash.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Raven Rider

MAV Can you post the part number and where you get your new wiper motor?  Is the unit in the post above mine the same unit you are using?  Thanks

Mavaholic

I wished I would have seen rmk57's post before I ordered a new kit. I could have used the bracket I already have. I ordered a kit from Concourse Parts to the tune of $235. Might just send it back and buy that motor.

rmk57

If you decide to go the boat wiper route make sure you get the shortest shaft you can as they come different lengths.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but the 55-57 chev electric wiper motor is a direct bolt in.
You can even use your original cable.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Mavaholic

I ordered the wiper motor in the link with the 1" shaft. Only problem with it is the gear box sticks above the output shaft. The existing motor on my wagon hangs below the shaft. With the new motor mounted in the old mount, it caused major interference with the hood. However you can flip it upside down and let it extend towards the center of the car, in front of the hood latch. It posses no interference problems mounted this way and works fine.
   I also order a wiper kit from Concourse parts. It is a complete kit including the switch and switch extension. It is made by New Port Engineering, https://www.newportwipers.com and can be ordered directly from them for less money. Their current price is $219. It also uses the motor with the gearbox above the output shaft but their mount turns the motor so it is about in the 5 o'clock position. For me, this caused the lower part of the mount to hit my valve cover. My 57 has a 400M engine. But I drilled a new mounting hole closer to the wiper motor and trimmed about 5/8" off the end of the mount. Now it fits and works great.