News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

spare tires

Started by 57 imposter, 2016-01-28 17:15

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I have never run a spare tire but always run with 2 cans of fix-a-flat, AAA card and a cell phone. I thought I would go ahead and run a spare in this car just to feel like a responsible adult. got a spare, had a, very nice, pleated cover made, put it in the car only to find out that the trunk won't close on a 15" tire. I have a 14" wheel and can get a 185-65-14 for next to nothing. Two concerns 1- it is way shorter than the 205-65-15's that are on the car and 2- if I loose a front tire I will have to move a rear to the front to clear the disc brakes. I am half tempted to make a cover for the tire well to turn it into a tool kit and carpet the whole trunk floor. What's everybody else doing??

Limey57

Those cans of tire-fix glue are only any use if you get back to the car and find a flat tire, they aren't much use if you get a flat on the freeway and shred the tire.  I'm going to find a modern space-saver spare wheel/tire and use that.  The reduction in overall diameter will give strange handling, but just using it to get you to a tire shop at 30 mph will be better than waiting for help from the AAA.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I think I'm just gonna run with a donut. I had picked up two at the salvage yards...unused, still had the nibs on them...from Lincoln Towncars. $5 each. They will clear the disc brakes, although I never tried one on the back, I had them on the front after I converted to the discs. My new rears won't fit on the front, Doug, will yours? Eventually I may buy another matching wheel, the front size,but it's way down on my priority list.
I'll measure the ones I've got, but I don't think they're that much smaller in diameter. I think the towncars I got them from ran 16" tires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I found a 14" Ford wheel that fits the disc brakes I have (well, that i had actually) and I have a 7.50 x 14 Firestone tire for old school looks.
Lynn

Frankenstein57

I carry one from a Lincoln, its on an aluminum wheel and stands taller than most donut spares. Not sure what model it came from, Mark

suede57ford

The late model Ford Aluminum Wheels are great choices.  They are thin and very light, so they don't take up too much space and the weight savings dramatic.   

I personally use the spares out of the late model cobra mustang because I have large Baer Brakes and they clear any brake combo.  I drive my car a lot and have needed to use the spare a few times.  It's so light, I don't worry about having it back there, even at the races.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429